Anaheim 3 Track...I Can't Believe This!

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I was over at the Dirt Wurx website checking on this week's track at A3 and read this:

...The start gate and starting pad is elevated almost 5' with a nearly vertical drop directly in front of the riders front wheel when they line up. This takes a different technique off the line, you can't just drop the clutch and pin it or you'll be airborne, loose your drive, and get smoked. You gotta drop in with a nice smooth move like a BMX rider does on the start. We'll see if the same guys pull holeshots or if we get a surprise when we see who's in the lead at the first turn...

I can't believe it! I'm REAL curious to see what the riders think. Has anybody ever heard of such a thing?

The article also says there's some other elevation changes on the track and some off camber corners. It's gonna' be interesting!

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
Well then, the most celebrated ex-bmxer is McGrath so maybe it will benefit him in some way? (he needs it this year) I must say though that it is really refreshing that the track designers do something different like this. It seems that they design the tracks in a way that it is easy and smooth for the riders, instead of being an obstacle and a challenge.

Sierra Flash

Dec 29, 2000
It will probably help the poor starters. Reminds me of entering a motocross as an old timer but I was the only one entered. They put me in the Pro class for some reason, and the start was super sandy then an immediate uphill pretty steep. I let the clutch out easy to stay out of everyones way and went up the hill turned right and was all alone in first, then entering the next right hander an avalanche was exploding on top of me. I could have caused a couple of guys to crash by squeezing them but I was nice. In supercross those back markers are not nice. I say leave well enough alone get the fast guys out front!

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
David Pingree was the post-race guest on SXLive. He was asked about this different start configuration and stated that it wasn't really that noticeable.

DougMXer

Oct 17, 2001
make it as hard and challenging as possible for the riders I say. They get paid so bloody much anyway so who cares what they think. Its the same for all of them and if they crash and burn thats too bad thats racing. The more radical and dangerous the better as far as I'm concerned. Make the buggers earn their "hard earned" cash.

P.S. Probably I good thing that I am not a track designer as the number of people who DNF would skyrocket

S

Saratoga

I sat near the start Sat. night and the starting line was not much different. It was a little higher then dropped smoothly downward. No big deal. The whoops on the other hand were like long steps up. When you get to the top they stairstepped down. Pretty neat looking but the technique looked to be the same.

Top Bottom