and so the saga continues............ PWK carb!

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by jmics19067

the mikuni slides you cant buy or is it the the needles you can't buy with any certainty of what they are.......I see just about everywhere you can buy the slides and needles for mikunis but the aftermarket needles never have anything close to the designation #s of the factories....

I went slide shopping yesterday for my Mikuni and it looked like the slides were readily available (and cheap!!) for most of thier carbs. The needles on the other hand...jmics19067, you are correct. These are only obtained from the dealer (in Honda's case anyway) and no one knows what the numbers mean, except for the last two which designation straight section diameter. I called numerous Honda dealers, Mikuni vendors, and even Mikuni corporate HQ (in search of a needle) and no one knows what the nomenclature means. In fact the common practice is to change the needle designations every year regardless if the needle changes or not. The aftermarket needles are grossly mismatched in comparrison to what the factory uses too.

On a side note, I couldn't even find Honda's phone number to call them...I guess they don't want to be bothered.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Bruce,
If I was you I would have thrown that bike in the garbage by now.

On that 144 kit it's probably about time to put new rings in it about now....all time spent jetting. Heck, you've probably gone through 3 topends on that thing just trying to get it dialed in. :(

I'm glad my bike runs (Knock on wood.).

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
bc,
Just curious if you compensated for the lower needle position when you shaved the bottom of the slide or if the clip position remained the same giving you a richer slide and leaner needle position.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
eeeeerrrrr. cant answer, basically the bike couldnt be ridden with the 6 slide so there is no jetting crossover or validity between the two. i am running 1465 needle (DEF) as well, but will test the leaner needles (1467-70) with the richer #4 slide.

Top Bottom