Angry Fast guy on AMA dual sport Club ride

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
So we are riding an AMA dual sport ride in the Pine barrens, my first AMA club ride, not my first ride, my first time in the Pine Barrens in a long time. We have a guy that is new to dirt bikes as of this summer and his speed is getting there but he is not racer. He is doing well and learning fast. We are having a great ride early on and we just finish a long winding single track section. Lots of fun but not hard for the most part. It was maybe a 3 mile 2nd and 3rd gear section so rather long for unbroken single track. We finish and wiat for our bud, he emerges about 2 mins later and pulls off his helmet. Some Enduro club wearing racer guy storms up off his 2 stroke race preped bike and unloads on our bud talking in no polite tone about how HE did not enjoy the section AT ALL because our bud did not pull over and let him pass. He did NOT explain anything about motor reving or "Hey Ya" yelling as a please let me by signal. Anyway, these guys hammered hard over every section then took a 10 min brake so we were running with them all day since we were riding brisk but not all out so we did not stop at the end of every section. Any way to you hammer head racer guy , Fffffff-----UUUUUUU! Our poor bud felt bad the rest of the day and tossed his bike at least twice that he admitted because he was trying to look over his shoulder in the singel track. Turn in your AMA card and your bike and get a horse so you can sit up hight and mighty and not have to worry about dispensing poop all over the trails and not picking it up, bikers dont act like that! This was a Sunday AMA club ride, there were BMW, KLR's, DR's WR's up to race KTM bikes and this guy is talking about how HE did not enjoy 1 section. Go ride the rest of the pines with your by yourself flat out if you want to train hard, why would you do a club ride where you know over 1000 riders would show up with street legal dual sport bikes? Anyway, the ride was awesome and very well organised and hosted, shame on, one Delaware Enduro Club rider that had to give his club and his sport a bad name. Very un-cool bone head move, could have and should have been done with some class, not @$$.
Thanks DRN for having a flame board, I feel better now.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If a guy like that messes with me, I usually can just laugh the guy off. Or if in a rare mood, I may try my best to cut gas as he's popping off. Mad guys love that. :rotfl:
Like I've told my kids, there are idiots and ass heads in every profession, and in every walk of life. Dirt biking is not immune.

But it sounds to me like this tool ruined your buddy's whole day. That would have me mad as well.

Good rant.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
For sure guys like that are not as fast as they think they are. Kinda like being handsome and intelligent, if you are you don't have to tell any one. Real fast guys know how to pass because they are doing it all the time.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
VintageDirt said:
Real fast guys know how to pass because they are doing it all the time.

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this. I know from experience.(the being passed part, that is)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
VintageDirt said:
For sure guys like that are not as fast as they think they are.

Most of us are only fast in our minds.

VintageDirt said:
Kinda like being handsome and intelligent, if you are you don't have to tell any one.

oldguy said:
Spoken from true experience???:laugh:

Wes is the definition of cute, not sure about handsome though!

VintageDirt said:
Real fast guys know how to pass because they are doing it all the time.

At the Terlingua Dual Sport Ride we tell everybody that the person passing is responsible for the safety of the other riders as it is a DS ride, not a race.

Make sure the trail boss knows what happened at the ride. Nothing can be done to salvage the day for you and your friends, but it should be mentioned next year so it doesn't happen again.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
you can't punch angry fast guy...that would be like punching softball guy or rec league basketball guy. Sounds fun for sure, but not very sporty

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I know what you could do...make him ride w/ actual fast guys for the sheer humiliation. Or maybe make him use a FMF bike stand for one week...yeah, that ought to teach him some humility

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Man.. i wouldn't let that ruin my day. I would have put that guy in his place if he started to go off on one of my friends, or me for that matter.

I would have told him to go F*** off.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Wouldn't it be a hoot if he's reading this and he knows it's him.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
VintageDirt said:

... and he knows Pred is now stalking him!! :whoa:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
VintageDirt said:

Angry fast guy, much like softball guy and co rec BB guy always but never knows its him...intentional blissful ignorance

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Thanks for the words of support guys. Yeah there was just no way to pass in that section, I dont think it had a single straight section, it just snaked left right left and so on with wall to wall pine trees on either side of the trail, hey, its the Jersey Pine Barrens. It was not real tight so trying to bash a path on a hair pin just would not work but your right, its his issue to be safe not ours to pull over, the trail is about a 12" single track slot in the woods so just trying to pull over is an adventure.
I know it was a small sore spot on my day (enough to write a flame) and it was in Steve's head to the point he crashed (more than normal), but now its a joke, if he rides slow we just say I did not enjoy that last section at all.
Anyway, we are pretty quick riders, these guys were fast. When a dude passed me in the single track doing a wheel stand I was like wow, same dude passed us all on a 4 mile road section doing a stand up wheel stand the whole way, I asked CRF guy if he saw him, he said yeah, that was Mike Lafferdey (sp?). But all the more reason to show some class on a dual sport ride if your an A rider. Anyway, Im not the type to loose my cool and come to blows, my toung is shap enough, as the guy was walking away I asked Steve if he herd any reving or yelling, he said no, so I said well then F him. Plus he was a small little older (then me) looking guy. Oh an yeah, it would be great if he was reading this, I guese thats part of the therapy of writing it. :nener:

Top Bottom