Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Hi All! Anne had her reconstructive knee surgery last Tuesday and is home recovering now. It was a five and a half hour surgery. She had completely torn her ACL, MCL, PCL and FCL ligaments in her left knee, plus 80-percent of the cartilage was also torn. The knee was completely dislocated. The doctor rebuilt all of the ligaments, plus he sewed the cartilage back together. She was in a lot of pain for the first two days following the surgery, but is doing better now. She hasn't started actual therapy yet, but they do have her doing some mild therapy at home with an electronic CPM machine that slowly bends and straightens her knee. She goes back to the doctor this afternoon and I imagine he will get her started on the real physical therapy this week.

This is a very serious injury and she's in for a long rehab process. Full recovery is expected to take a year, although she should be able to ride a bicycle in three months or so, and progress from there. She's hoping to ride again sometime late fall, but we'll keep her off the motorcycle until her knee is strong. She really screwed it up, I think she would've done less damage to it if she had fallen out of an airplane!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Ouch.:(

Good luck with the recovery Ann.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yep, that's a bad one. I really feel for her, the pain I had was right on the edge of being more than I could handle, lol... and my knee wasn't nearly as bad. Tell her not to freak when her leg shrinks to the size of her arm :eek:

Good luck with rehab!! We'll see ya at DirtWeek Anne!

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Bob & Anne;

Our best wishes are with both of you for a speedy and complete recovery. I know you will keep tabs on her and make sure she does not overdo it too soon (She seems a little fiesty.... and I mean that to be complementary!).
:debil:

Being the stubborn Missouri mule that I am, I didn't heed my doctor's advice and had to go back a couple more times for "touchups." She will feel like she can walk with out pain, and it will probably be difficult and frustrating for her, but the best course of action is to stay planted on the couch or in bed.

I had vitually the same surgery done on both of my knees thanks to the U.S. Army (Airborne school). But, I had to jump out of planes several times to get that much damage. She's a real trooper and I'll be glad when we can get together again for another ride.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey, Anne, your fingers aren't broken are they? ;) Jump on in and let us know how you're doing!

Glad the surgery was successful. Electronic PT--sounds like the way to go! Now if they just made electronic exercisers so I wouldn't have to do all the work! :cool:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Hi, Bob and Anne!

I'm relieved to know that you two are going through this difficult time together. And I hope it's not going to be a long time before Anne starts feeling better.

My boy friend Buddy had his knee surgery two years ago. It was basically a reconstruction. At that time we were still dating between U.S. and Japan, so I flew over from Japan to support him for three weeks. It was difficult for me to see him in pain, but on the other hand, it was nice for me to be with him rather than just wondering how he was doing.

Well, now it seems he doesn't even remember he had knee surgery two years ago. We just came back from 58 miles of Enduro race on this weekend, and we both feel little sore from riding (actually I have huge bruises on my thigh), but Buddy's knee is just fine.

Anne, please let us know how you are doing.
Good luck with your recovery!!!

Mini
;)

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Ann- Good luck with the rehab now! Ya gotta love all the colorful bungies those PT folks give out!

FireLily- How about an enduro ride report for us? Did you meet up with other DRN women too? Did everybody have fun?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Thanks Bob for the update. I was wondering how it was all going with Anne. Anne, when you feel up to it, come and say hi. In the meantime, do what the dr says and keep your chin up.

Mini, ride report? Or you still too sore? lol
Michelle

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
O.K., CJ Rider and Michelle.
I will work on my riding report tomorrow.
Karna, GSR and KTMchick, are you going to write the reports, too?
I hope so....
Mini

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Thanks everyone. Anne certainly appreciates the thoughts and support. She's been a little down lately, as you can imagine. She hasn't been online much or posting because our home computer is upstairs and it's really difficult for her to get upstairs now. As she gets stronger, she'll be on DRN more and more, I'm sure. Thanks again.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Bob Brooks
She hasn't been online much or posting because our home computer is upstairs and it's really difficult for her to get upstairs now.

Sounds like a medically justified reason for a lap top and wireless web set up:aj:

Good luck with the rehab.

Brian

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Anne you were certainly in my thoughts on the 5th. I looked up and noticed the date on the calendar and thought of you. Thank you Bob for the update. Good to hear the surgery was a success. I don't envy what you'll endure for the next several months but like my mamma always says "that which does not kill us only makes us stronger". ;)
Best of luck to you with your recovery. I hope to get to ride with you someday.
Heck you don't need any crutches, just hitch that dog of yours to a sled and dangle a hotdog in front of her! ;)
Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it. :)

Top Bottom