Annoying problem with my YZ, help

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
Is it normal for the bike to jerk forward a little bit when you shift into first gear? My '97 YZ 125 does this and sometimes it stalls out on me if I don't give it any gas while shifting into first gear... It also makes a "clack" sound when I shift into first. I also noticed that when I do shift into first gear, the idle speed changes (idles lower then when in neutral). I just changed my tranny fluid and I was hoping maybe that would help, but it still does the same thing.

Is this normal? If not, what needs to be done to fix this? I can't possibly see how this can be normal... if you're holding in the clutch and you shift into any gear, it should not jerk whatsoever.... maybe I'm wrong.

Help!

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Sounds like you have a clutch issue.

I'd buy the following:

Clymer Manual for your bike
Clutch plate kit (around $80-$100)
New clutch cover gasket (around $15)
New clutch springs and screws (around $20)
New Clutch Cable (around $14)
New clutch bearings (around $20)

When you pull your clutch apart to replace the plates, take a good hard look at your clutch basket and boss clutch. There will very likely be ridges worn into them given the age of your bike.

Place the basket in a vice (wrapped in a towel or something to prevent damaging it) and use a flat file to file down the ridges if they aren't too big. If the ridges are too deep, you'll need a new basket and boss clutch.

Make sure you follow the directions in the clymer manual when rebuilding the clutch and you'll be back up in no time.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
Ok well I have a Clymer manual, and I see that it requires a special tool to remove the clutch basket... is this neccassary? What else could I use to remove it?

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Ryan314 said:
Ok well I have a Clymer manual, and I see that it requires a special tool to remove the clutch basket... is this neccassary? What else could I use to remove it?

I just did all that stuff last weekend. You "can" use a clutch holder, or you can make one with a piece of 2"x2" wood and a couple drill bits and sockets.

Measure the length of wood and cut it and then measure how far apart the screw mounts are apart and drill a bit of the wood out and insert a socket so they fit around the clutch spring screw mounts.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
mandark1967 said:

I'd buy the following:

When you pull your clutch apart to replace the plates, take a good hard look at your clutch basket and boss clutch. There will very likely be ridges worn into them given the age of your bike.

Place the basket in a vice (wrapped in a towel or something to prevent damaging it) and use a flat file to file down the ridges if they aren't too big. If the ridges are too deep, you'll need a new basket and boss clutch.

Make sure you follow the directions in the clymer manual when rebuilding the clutch and you'll be back up in no time.

Nice except I'd try adjusting the clutch cable first. As far as a clutch holder you don't need one if you have an impact gun to take it apart, or you can jam a rag between the basket and the case and use a breaker bar to loosen the nut. There is obviously some risk of damage if you use the rag/breaker bar approach and go too far.

Ryan314

Feb 4, 2007
mandark1967 said:

I'd buy the following:

Well I took a look at my clutch basket/clutch boss today and they both looked perfectly fine... no signs of wear whatsoever... they almost looked brand new!

So, what else could it be?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
There are several reasons a clutch will get jumpy like that, the most common are as follows, if there is not enough freeplay in the cable. You should have about a nickel width or slightly more play between the lever and the perch. Next I'd check the basket and hub, in checking those I'll assume you removed all the plates from the clutch? If not you will not see the notching on the basket and hub. And sometimes it's just time for new plates and springs.

butters

Mar 9, 2007
or the main reason may be because the gear lube is still cold and when you put it into first gear the friction of the cold lube slows the motor down.... what viscocity lube you run?

every bike i got is like that, till it warms up.

the plates "stick" together after it sits and cools down.

Top Bottom