TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
I started the thread about buying bikes fro my son and I. Well, my father in law went out yesterday and kicked down for a JR50, helmet, boots, and chest protector. Now I’m teaching my son (4 1/2) how to ride sans the training wheels (he rides his bicycle without them). His first ride wasn’t entirely successful as the bulk of all the gear and weight of the bike was a little overwhelming. He’s ridden a little Suzuki 50 quad several times and is getting comfortable on that. (My brother and his family are quad-ers)

He’ll get the hang of it I’m sure, but I feel like I’m embarking on uncharted ground here. Once he gets proficient enough to putt around on his own, I plan to buy a bike and learn to ride with him. I’ve ridden a few times in the past, but I am still essentially starting from scratch.

My jetskiing friends think I’m going to kill myself if I get a dirtbike. I’m inspired by the first “did I screw up” thread, as I look forward to riding with my son, even if it is just putting around for a while. Somebody tell me that my plan is a good one and I’m not out of my gourd (or tell me if I am).

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you want to help a little with balance run the JR50 tank with just a little fuel in it. That way there is less to unbalance your son. It might not seem like much but think about how a full size bike feels with 3 gallons vs 1/2 gallon and ya' get the picture. If he's riding a bicycle without trainning wheels he'll be fin on the JR without them, my sone learned to ride his PW50 THEN we pulled the trainning wheels on his bicycle. Don't force the feet up thing on him' let him duck waddle the bike around a bit, it won't take long. Also make it fun for him. Set some cones 10 or 20 feet apart and have him ride to ya' and if he does it without feet maybe a "prize" (candy, cookie, whatever). I'd be suprised if it took more than a couple of hours (which could take a few days to get in depending on how long it's fun for him at a time) to get him riding in circles with his feet up. Then it's on to the figure 8's!

The only mistake I see is you don't have YOUR bike yet.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Your certainly not going to "kill" yourself, as long as things remain resonable. I have never had the pleasure of teaching such a young child how to ride, that would be a challenge. Is he comfortable in his gear? If not, maybe he could just wear it when he rides his bicycle so that he'll get used to it, that way he's not trying to adapt to two new things at once...then get him on the JR50...just a thought.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Don't listen to playa haters

TEEEE said:
My jetskiing friends think I’m going to kill myself if I get a dirtbike. I’m inspired by the first “did I screw up” thread, as I look forward to riding with my son, even if it is just putting around for a while. Somebody tell me that my plan is a good one and I’m not out of my gourd (or tell me if I am).

It sounds like your Jet ski friends suffer from a serious case of sour grape syndrome. Although boating and jet skiing is nice, dirt biking will do more for your son's respect for motor vehicles in general. When he learns to drive a car, he will have a greater respect for the risks, not to mention alot of experience with clutches and shifting gears. Personally, MX did more for my confidence and general athleticism than most of the casual sports my father and I participated in. As for yourself, the health benefits of riding bikes far outweigh the risks.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
When I taught my son to ride, I put cones (or something) in the back yard and had him do figure 8s. They are great practice to learn turning transitions from right to left.

Once he was ready to go out to the woods, I bought myself a KX500.

(OK, I've ridden dirtbikes before :))

If you want to start out very conservatively, get a 250-4 stroke trail bike. TT-R, XR, etc. Or a KDX200 2 stroke is always a good choice with room to grow into.

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
Thanks for all the great advice. I’m sure my son will be up and running here shortly. He’s stoked. His JR50 is now 2 days old and my wife said he spent part of the day yesterday in the garage talking to it. :)

My jetskiing habit is not real tame, as we ride standups in the surf year round. My good friend and riding partner competes in freestyle events professionally. Not really a casual day at the lake, but tough to spend the day with my son as well. No way am I giving up the surf, but I look forward to a sport my son and I can do together.

As for me, a KDX200 seems to be the biggest bang for the buck. Nobody else seems to make a two-stroke trail bike that is comparable? I like the idea of a two-stroke, since I might actually be able to wrench on it some myself given my experience w/ jetski engines. I’m 4-stroke challenged.

Thanks again for all the friendly help. This is a great forum!

-T

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
One of my riding buddies is teaching his 3 yr old son how to ride on a PW50 with training wheels. It is a real hoot watching him ride. The hardest thing about it is getting him off the bike :). He is making great strides and will likely be riding without training wheels soon.

As for your bike, the KDX 200 is an excellent bike. Parts are easy to find, repairs and maintenance are easy, and you can find them cheap since there are a bozillion of them out there. If you can keep a jet ski running, you can surely keep a KDX running! The KDX is great for everything from novice to advanced. I was clearing 50' doubles on mine before I decided to go to motocross exclusively (note : don't do 50' doubles on a KDX unless you want to replace bent forks. I learned the hard way.).

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
TEEEE said:
...His JR50 is now 2 days old and my wife said he spent part of the day yesterday in the garage talking to it. :) ...

See, now that right there makes it all worth it! :laugh:
My wife has accused me of doing the same thing...of course I never admit to it! :laugh:

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
Well, after a pretty short lesson #2, he's riding around mostly by himself with his feet down. Tomorrow we'll work a little more on getting the feet up. He's excited about it, and catching on pretty quick. Good advice all! I better start looking seriously at a ride for daddy... :ride:

Trying to insert a pic, or at least a link to a pic...is that a no-no?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
TEEEE said:
Well, after a pretty short lesson #2, he's riding around mostly by himself with his feet down. Tomorrow we'll work a little more on getting the feet up. He's excited about it, and catching on pretty quick. Good advice all! I better start looking seriously at a ride for daddy... :ride:

Trying to insert a pic, or at least a link to a pic...is that a no-no?

Congrats on getting your son up on his bike. I need to send a link to this thread to my daughter. We were talking about getting a bike for my grandson just last night.

Regarding YOUR ride ... All of the above suggestions are great. There are many good bikes out there, but many of your choices hinge on who you are going to ride with. Patman recently assembled a really trick bike that is all about riding with his son. Any smallish 4-stroke would be great for that, while the 2-strokes might be a bit spirited to putt around on. That being said, don't neglect the probability that you will be chasing a lot faster youngster this time next year. :)

Regarding your question about photos ... I can't see why you could not paste in a link. Click on the Support Team Info link below my sig line for the thread that explains the benefits of each level of membership.

OK now for the sales pitch ... As the "Official Door Man and Greeter" for DRN, let me invite you to crank up a thread in the New Member? Welcome! Go here first forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Where do you live?
etc.
etc.

We will try and hook you up with some folks from your area. As many folks have spare bikes hanging around the garage, you might be able to bum a ride on a few and get a better idea of what you might want to get.

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
Just a quick update...my son is doing better and better on the JR50 and last weekend I picked up a 2000 KDX 200! Those things sell quick around here. I tied it up the day it hit the market. $2200 for a mostly-stock bike in great condition.

We're both stoked, now we just need to get out and ride. :cool:

dioxide211

Jan 31, 2003
TEEEE said:
As for me, a KDX200 seems to be the biggest bang for the buck. Nobody else seems to make a two-stroke trail bike that is comparable? I like the idea of a two-stroke, since I might actually be able to wrench on it some myself given my experience w/ jetski engines. I’m 4-stroke challenged.

Thanks again for all the friendly help. This is a great forum!

-T
KTM makes a great 200cc trail bike. Dirt Rider mag just gave it bike of the year honors actually. You may want to check into one..Dioxide

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Congrats on the bikes, you'll have a blast. I also recently test rode a KDX200, it's a really fun bike to ride, and they seem to be pretty reliable. Good luck and have fun, before you know it your son will be going faster than you!

Top Bottom