Another 2 v 4 stroke decision...

Bara

Sep 2, 2006
okay first of sorry if this has been covered already but after searching i just couldnt seem to find the answer im looking for.

Hokay!

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
i am 17 @ 90 kilos (200lbs i tink) and at 175 cm. im a very stocky bloke thanks to my concreting heritage but am by no
means fat or phycialy unfit.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? very :boss:
everything, most of my mates ride trial/woods, but we hit the jumps alot and have some track

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
everything, most of my mates ride trial/woods, but we hit the jumps alot (literally) and have some track days a year. we basically do it all.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
been riding bikes scince i was 10 yrs old. have had a brake for the last year.

5) Do you think you will race ?
competivly? not really, first one back to the shed for a beer? DEFINATLY!!!!!!!!

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes and no, i know the very basics of servicing a bike but am willing to learn all thats needed. most of the times i trade a slab of beer for half a days time of me and my mates and we service ours all in one go.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
okay here is where im really confused. I just cant seem to decide.... i have always owned 4 strokes enduros and never n mx bike. however, an mx bike is what i want to buy. now given my trail riding history i have never ridden a 2 stroke. most of my mates got 4's as they sold of their 2 strokes before i was riding with them. (the mates i go riding wit are in their mid 20's) Anywaz. i thinking either a 125 or a 250f, or even a 250 2 smoker<-----YES i would consider buying a 250 and bearing with the power until i get used to it. Im stoped on wether a 125 will be sufficent enough as i blasted the hell outa my 200 and 250, so i dont want something that will lack on power, but, they were trails. I really want an mx bike as im sick of the heavy trail mother Fu@#ers. Only problem is i dont know what to choose and for what reasons they would be good for.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? No but a good selection is bout a 20 min drive away.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
5500-6000 ausy dollars. ruffly 4000-5000 us
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
are 2 strokes going to be around in a couple of years and will it be worth investing in one now? how much will a 125 last in the FUN factor before needing to upgrade? like i said, a 250 smoker is on the playin cards but i doubt it as the real decision here is between 125 or 250f.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
With your size and experience with four strokes, I would recomend one of the newer 450's. I think you will be blown away how the 4 strokes have progressed. I think a 125 may be a little underpowered for you on trails with hills. 2 strokes are not going to disappear very soon, only in the racing circuit. Especially not parts and stuff like that. A 250 is a good bike for your size and experience. But from your description, Id still say a 450f.

Bara

Sep 2, 2006
hmmm. i have ridden a 03 yz450f and i have to say that its amount of torque was a little unwelcoming. however i dont by no means want an underpowered bike.
Is there anyway to tame the 450f?

also, what was ment by the kx250 with a bigger flywheel? what effect would this have?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
A flywheel weight smooths out the power delivery of the engine and makes it better for trail riding. Shouldn't have any ill effects for an MX track, especially since you aren't racing competitively.

At 200 lbs, you're too big for a 125 for sure and probably a 250F.

Bara

Sep 2, 2006
thanks for that gwrim, i never consider taming down a more powerfull bike.
i guess the only real problem now is 2 stroke or 4 stroke. now i know this topic has been covered many times but each case is different so i need a bike that is rite for my riding, not one that a critics say is the best. At the moment im leaning towards the 250 2 stroke as i seem to have a liking for the for some reason. i think the fact that i have never owned a 2 stroke makes me what one more. The main thing im looking for is lightweight and the flicability ( lol dont even know if thats a word or not)

Top Bottom