Another "Best all around tire" question

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
Folks,

The condition of most of the tracks my son races at changes drastically by the end of the day. They water all night and in the morning you have thick, slick, muddy, red clay or wet, soupy sand you could (and will) use as metal polish. The red clay tracks turn to glassy smooth hardpack with truckloads of dust. Or, they throw some water on top to cut down the dust and it's like riding on a greasy street. The wet sand tracks turn to loose, deep sand in the turns and hardpacked sand in the flats and landings.

If I had to use one tire combination, what would it be? Currently I've got Starcross MS2s front and rear and play with the tire pressure. One of the trackside vendors carries Michelins and gives a great deal on both the tire and mounting at the track. Seemed like a good enough reason to run them, besides having a decent reputation. No complaints, but we haven't tried anything else but the Dunlops that come with new YZ85s.

But what if I had another complete real wheel assembly, what would my tire and gearing choices be? A soft tire and a sprocket with an extra tooth to keep the tire from breaking loose in the mud, and then an int/hard tire? Or would I run a soft/int tire most of the time and switch to a hard terrain tire when it gets really dry at the clay tracks? A soft tire and a hard tire?

Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks.

deadhead

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'm fond of the Michelin's so I would just have an MH3 on the other rear. Our conditions are similar and we tend to run the MS2's on my son's 125. We ran Dunlop 756's when he was on 80's but the 125 eats tire's way quicker and the Dunlops just don't last at all. Big tires cost a fair bit more so I've been happy with our switch to Michelin.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Michelin Starcross series cant be beat for hooking up , or durability. IMHO
i refuse to experiment with anything else since this discovery

front and rear

Top Bottom