PAT WS6

Apr 20, 2009
Ive Noticed my clutch has been acting up badly, first off, when its in neutral and i pull the clutch and push down into FIRST it immediatley grabs and dies. The Clutch Cable is ALL the way TIGHT and there is no slack... what could be the issue? is it not pulling the clutch all the way out?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Your clutch basket is probably notched badly. You might be able to file it out, and get a little more life out of it, but you are better off just replacing it.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
IndyMX said:
Your clutch basket is probably notched badly. You might be able to file it out, and get a little more life out of it, but you are better off just replacing it.

Ding Ding Ding!!!! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!! I juuuuuust dealt with the same issue......replace the basket or you'll be tearing that bad boy down again replacing it in 3 months.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
PAT WS6 said:
The Clutch Cable is ALL the way TIGHT and there is no slack.

May be a silly question but I have no idea your experience with repairing a bike. Have you also tried to give some free play using the cable adjustment and not just the perch adjustment?

lake

Oct 30, 2008
The same thing just happened to me with my clutch i filed the basket down but it's still not working right. Does anyone have any ideas of something else it could be besides the basket?

dice_jay

Apr 29, 2009
well...I'd still suggest replacing the basket if it is grooved, but it could also be the push rod. If it is bent even a bit, it could cause a problem too.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Do not leave your cable with no slack, you'll burn up the plates from constant slight slippage. Check out your basket and hub for notching/grooving as mentioned. Sometimes plates will also stick together from sitting (causing your stated symptoms.) Hit each side of the friction plates with an ultra-lite sandpaper to remove a slight glaze, check metal plates for overheating/warpage/discoloring (no cable slack will contribute to overheating/fast wear), change oil.

Top Bottom