julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Well, we got the 90 we drug up from florida running. We had it out yesterday at callalantee in TN for a couple hours before a massive pinch flat sent us home. This is the one we picked up for 100$ with a broken LH sub vavle. We replaced the broken valve, and had to tinker with a few other things.

It seems to run ok down low, and up top, but in the mid range it pops and sputters a lot. Carb is clean and it's jetted 48/150. Needle clip is in the second notch from the top. Going to clean the silencer and remove the airbox lid to see if we can get it breathing better. It smokes and spooges a lot more than my 89, so my feeling is that it's running too rich. No problem fouling plugs yet.

This seems to have been the white/blue model that came out in 90. I've been trying to hunt down the plastics for it with no luck. I guess nobody ever made aftermarket white rad shrouds. bummer...

Anyway, it's exciting to have another E series runner in the stable. We're going to tinker on it a bit today and see what we can see.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
sounds good ...congrats reepncheap is not so lucky though..
do you think it is possible that the kips is kicking in to late??
did you put your "mod stock" pipe on since you got the dg on your other kdx now??

I think it was you that had some scary sprockets.. did you get some good ones??

that can really ruin a good running cheap bike if the case gets smacked!!

have fun cleaning that silencer that crap is like printer toner, a little spec can make a amazingly big mess take it out in the woods to clean it!!!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
We got the silencer apart. The spark arrestor portion is all that was in there. The actual baffles and packing had been removed for some unknown reason. Yeah, we put my old stock modded pipe on there. The pipe that came on it looked like it was from a different bike. Maybe KDX250. It was bigger, and goofy looking with mounts that didn't line up. I swore after cleaning/repacking my stock silencer I would never do that again. Easier to buy a new one! I guess I lied, cuz it took about an hour to get this one apart. nasty....

Both KDX's have new 12t fronts and 49t rears, as well as new chains. And yeah, my sprockets were downright scary before I replaced them. We cut the airbox lid this morning and we were going to repack the silencer, but obviously there is nothing to repack. Guess we're hunting for a silencer now. I'll probably throw mine on there if the rain quits and see if we've made any progress.

It is possible the kips is coming on too late, but when you rev it on the stand with the RH kips cover off you can see it coming on fairly quickly. I think the KIPS is operating as it should.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
did you happen to take the needle jet tube out when cleaning the carb (the piece that resides under the main jet)??
alot of times the tiny holes that run down that tube are packed with gas crusties and may be the culpret of midrange throttle sluggishness

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
for silencers, I use a torch mostly, and some oven cleaner.

I did not take the needle jet tube out. Never figured out how to get it out. We really only looked into the carb far enough to see that the main/pilot are clean and what size they are. I should really tear it down and soak it tonight. I think I might do that... We gotta change a rear tire too. Throwing on an IRC Trials. :ride: :)

How much impact do you think missing the rear baffles and packing will make?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I believe I have read that some back pressure is good
that maybee the reason of no midrange power???
I'm sure the pipe is still resonating but correctly? who knows

the jet tube comes out the same direction as the main jet I watch a guy at the ktm shop smack it out by way of the slide chamber... he use a steel punch BUt I would find a small swrewdriver and use the handle and tap on the blade...I you get my drift

trials tire sounds fun....seems like it would do much better on the rocks and river x-ings

let me know if you can still do a donut type 180* turn around with that tire

also I would recomend heavy duty tubes ..they are thick and a pita to get in but man they hold up really well the last time I changed the reat tire on my xt 350 I found the rim lock had been tightened down on the tube!!!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
U can do a donut, but You need to spin the tire really fast to do so, and if it decides to grip something, you best be hanging on tight! I can loft the front wheel on some slick muddy trails now, when that thing bites, it really bites in hard. If you lay the bike over sideways it'll 180 pretty easily still though.

and yeah, we put HD tubes in front and back. I have regular tubes in mine with no problems yet....

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Well, we tore the carb most of the way down. It is very clean inside, no corrosion that I could spot. I could not figure out how to get the needle jet holder out. We just put in new pilot and main jets, 48/150 was all I had on hand. We put my silencer on there with fresh packing also. This made very little difference. It felt a bit stronger at WOT I think, but everything up to WOT was still sputter/pop/sputter.

I decided to throw my carb on there which is jetted 45/148 and it ran great. So I guess we know it's in the carb. I'll tear it down this evening and soak it in the immersion cleaner and then blow all the passages out with the compressor. Now we know what it is anyway. The crank bearings are bad too, so we'll be splitting cases before long. And then there's always the water pump seal leaking water into the tranny. The cylinder has been sleeved, and the bore looks good with good crosshatch. It has a new wiseco piston as well. I'd say we'll have 600-700 hundred in a fairly solid machine when we're done. Not so bad IMO. This is about what I have in my 89. My buddy of course is funding all the parts for this one, since it's his bike. His 1st bike, actually. I'm just helping him with the labor.

Top Bottom