Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I stayed close to home today and raced the local tarmac. Not really tarmac but about as hard. The odds were against us this weekend as the forcast called for a lot of rain Sat & Sun. Had a light rain Sat and woke up to some serious fog this morning. I headed on out even though the forcast was against it to find a perfect day for riding. I signed up for the over 30 class and hit the 1st practice. On my 2nd lap I hit the whoops right on the tail but luckily just off to the side of #48 on a 125 Suzuki. I thought it was cool as he pulled a huge wheelie entering the whoops, only thing is the front wheel stayed up, With about 3 or 4 whoops left his back end swapped to the left then full right and down he went right in front of me. Now I know better than to ever let off in the whoops but today I had no choice. Basically I sorta stuck both wheels on the ground and pinned the brakes as he flopped right in front of me. I was fine but he got his bell rang. 1st practice was over.

I hit a couple more laps of 2nd practice before desiding to conserve my "vet" energy. I noticed the slick spots were beginning to get real tacky so I headed to the trailer and get the race order. I was 2nd race.

1st moto the gate dropped, it was over 30 & 4-stroke combined. The 4-strokes really hooked up but I sat there and spun on the wet/slick concrete starting pad. As I made my way to the 1st turn I was next to last place. I managed to pass everyone in my class bt the next few turns except one guy, I waited untill we hit the sand section in the back of the track before inching my front wheel inside a turn. I managed to pull into 1st and hold it off for all five laps. I paced myself to try and keep just enough distance between me & 2nd but I don't think I could have held him off another lap, my hands were numb and tight as I grabbed the checkers. We congradulated each other and headed to the pits. The guy that finished behind me vowed to win the 2nd moto.

After the longest time our 2nd moto rolled around and I got another poor start. Half way thru the 1st lap I managed to catch up to the 1st place guy and he smiled and yelled "I gottcha!" About that time is wehn I made my move, I blew past like he was siting still to hear him tell it. I gave it all I could and held him off untill just before the finish. He pulled an awesome block in a sweeper and took my line, I had no where to go because of the trees so I checked my brakes. The last turn he stalled going into a berm and all I had to do was block and I'd have it but I just couldn't do it. Again my hands were numb and I thought "better to finish 2nd than not to finish. Finished up 1-2 for 2nd overall. Everyone said it was the race of the day, most of the time you couldn't have squeezed a knat between us. The 2 of us are planning to hook up next week at another track and continue the challenge. :aj:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
:thumb: WTG, Jeff!  I really like your race reports, almost like being there. :yeehaw:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
funny how a new topend will make you not want to sell your bike. hehe great report jeff.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by tx246
funny how a new topend will make you not want to sell your bike. hehe great report jeff.
I really like the bike and it's running good but I still found myself looking for more power this weekend. Funny thing is I'm sure in the right hands it has more than enough. I still wanna try a 250 for a few laps and see if I'm ready. The hard part for me is going to be trying to get used to the way a Jap bike feels as oppossed to a KTM. The only other times I've ridden a Jap bike (maybe 3 times) I didn't spend enough time on them to get a feel for them, they are so different.

I raced a YZ125 (with a 167 kit) 4 laps last year. Hopped on it at the starting line and did my laps and got off, it was the 1st and only time I ever rode it. I loved the power! It was also the 1st time I ever rode anything besides my KTM in 25 years. The throttle response was incredable but as soon as I got to the corners it was all over, it felt like I was going to fall over in every turn.
Since then I've ridden a YZ400 4-stroke and the front wheel never touched the ground that I'm aware. It had a lot of stuff done to it but it felt way to heavy and akward for me. I also rode a friends KX125 and it was the most cramped up feeling bike I ever sat on. I forgot this one, I rode a 03 RM250 a few weeks ago and it had a good feel to it except the suspension was so stiff I was afraid to hit the power band.
I really want to try a YZ250 1st then a CR250. After that I'd like to give the 200sx a shot. I have a feeling the 200 will feel the best because that's the brand I'm used to only I think I'd do better adding the extra 50cc's if I'm gonna move up at all. I may change my mind after I have a chance to take them for a spin.

Top Bottom