dustinkdx

Oct 30, 2007
Ive tied to research this topic but nothing came up. I'm racing my first harescramble in a month and am planning on getting a new set of handle bars first. I thought about getting a set of mini bars due to the width of the track but a friend of mine said that they would make the bike "hard to control at high speeds". I was originally thinking about getting a set of pro taper cr hi bend bars. Any advice or experience about this?

rogercutford

Feb 19, 2008
I have cut my bars down to 28 1/4 they are pro taper's I run enduros from pine wood thickets to up on mountian trails. just cut them down put some hot grips on since their taken apart only $28. 00 ( trust me if you ride in the winter you will love them) put on some good bark busters and in a couple of runs you wont be able to tell they were cut at all. except when you see every one else stopping to weave there handle bars through the trees and you just run straight through. I have not noticed any change when going slow or at high speeds.

Last edited:

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I would say it all depends on where you are racing your bike. Different parts of the nation dictate different types of woods riding. Eastern hare scrambles are typically tighter than Western events. If you anticipate 2nd and 3rd gear for most of your event, then I would cut them to under 29". If you see yourself in mostly 3rd and above, then I would leave them stock. 28" bars @ 40 mph and above can get squirrely in a hurry. Trust me, I've done it.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Worry less about the 2 inches your thinking about cutting off of your bars and find a way to protect your pipe. Every time I attempted a woods race it cost me a new pipe.

dustinkdx

Oct 30, 2007
Thanks for the information so far. I live in Arkansas and the trails that I ride can get kinda tight. I usually stay in 2nd but will hit third when it straightens out. I just got a new gnarly pipe so thanks for the tip!

dustinkdx

Oct 30, 2007
Thanks again for the help guys. I am looking at getting Pro Taper Cr Hi's and cutting them down or the Moose Burleson flex series bars. I rode some really tight trails yesterday and really need a change. Im 5'11. What do you guys recommend?

Top Bottom