woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Gang:
Well, I finally found the time to break away from the busyness of summer and put some miles on the bike. 3 friends and I went up to Tin Cup last Saturday and had a ball!!!! It would have been 4 but one of my real close riding buds decided to give MX a shot a couple weeks ago and broke his foot!! What a bummer, with fall riding coming up and all....
We started our adventure with a loop around Tin Cup. The ground was still damp from Fridays rain and dust was almost non-existent.. One of my riding buds had to sell his 2002 "street legaled" CR250 and wound up riding a 1982 Honda XR200 as a replacement. I was VERY impressed with this little bikes willingness to be ridden WOT for the day. That sucker was and still is AMAZING - reminds me of the "Energizer Bunny"...
We finished Tin Cup before noon and headed "street/quad trailing" towards Lincoln Hills Bridge. We stopped at Carrieville for gas (the little XR and the 2 XR400's were fine but my "legal" KX likes to have its tank maintained even though it has an oversize on it!!) and for a drink.
After filling the tanks and buying a pop, we sat down by the air hose to stay in the shade. Some guy riding a DR350 comes over to use the air. He starts telling us about this "old timer" who is suppose to be riding the COMPLETE MCCCT over Labor Day. He (the biker) says that he was told that the guy was riding a 1974 Penton and was 72 years old!!! I said "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING - THAT IS FANTASTIC!!!".
We finished or break and continued up to the "Bridge". We crossed the Pine River and I blasted up to the top of the hill that starts what we "Old Riders" call the Boon Trail. I waited at the top for my buddies on the XR's :) hahahaha. I REALLY like that tight little section to the left at the beginning of the Boon and it just felt plain GREAT to be back on one of my favs!!
Broke out of the first section, waited for my buds to appear (sat and talked to a couple of guys in a 4x4 who OBVIOUSLY wished they had their bikes there). When the guys came out I told the guys in the Jeep so long and Wheelied across the intersection and up the little hill for them - thankfully I didnt do what Tom Dixon had done - sometimes I do that too!!
Headed into the next section of the Boon Trail and noticed that there were NO other tracks on the trail in front of me. I dont know about you guys but I found this REALLY special. To be on that section of trail, on a PERFECT Labor Day Weekend ride and not see another set of tracks - RARE!!!
I was about 10 minutes into the ride from the intersection, came around a corner and here comes another bike toward me. I IMMEDIATELY noticed the ol Penton cause those are what I raced against back in my youth. It was an orange (PRE KTM FOLKS) 250 with an "old guy" riding it who was wearing an old "open face" helmet. I stopped, shut off my bike, he shut off his, I said "Are you the 72 year old that is riding the whole MCCCT this weekend". He says "well, I am riding the whole MCCCT, how did you hear about me?". I told him that he was famous, that everyone that I knew knew he was out here and that he was a celebrity!!!
I introduced myself to him and he told Me his name "Ted del Solar" I believe, AKA "Young Ted". Ted told me that I had been "misinformed" that he was really 75 years old - NOT 72 :) He went on to tell me that he had been VERY involved with Enduro Racing for years. My friends pulled up and we had a "Hero's Welcome" for Yound Ted right there on the Boon Trail!!! WHAT A GREAT CONTRIBUTION TO OUR SPORT GUYS!! Young Ted told me as the other guys were leaving (somethings are worth letting your buddies get in front of you) that we made his trip worth it! He was VERY interesting to chat with and just to listen to his stories brought back such vivid memories that I almost started crying!!!!! Hey Ted, if you read this, I AM THE ONE WHO HAD HIS RIDE MADE BY MAKING YOUR ACUAINTENCE!! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE FOR THE SPORT!!!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN!!!
We continued our ride toward Boon, the guys got tired and decided we needed lunch at Caberfe'. Notice I didnt say ol Woodsy was getting tired :) We went to the Lodge trying to get directions to the "Lost Lodge" - it isnt in the "map book" :( The guy at Caberfe told us about a new place called Coyote Lodge and we went there. GOOD FOOD and VERY GOOD SERVICE!! Woodsy HIGHLY recommends this place folks!!
We all GORGED ourselfs, chatted about "Young Ted", the trail and some more about the coincedence of meeting "Young Ted" and headed the bikes toward home :( Now its tiem for one of my infamous sayings: IT ALWAYS HAS TO END TO SOON WHEN YOUR GOING TO BOON!!
We got back to the lot just before dark. THE PERFECT RIDE! 108 miles of the stuff that dreams are made of!! Makes me wonder how wonderful of dreams a guy like "YOUNG TED" has!!
Carpe Diem
Woodsy

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Another great installment Woodsy! We need to get you a helmet cam for the complete multi-media experience!

I met Young Ted at the Jack Pine a few weeks ago. Quite a site - the man, the machine, and the man riding the machine! That bike looks like it weighs 400lbs. He wasn't riding alone was he?

Talking to Ted's wife, I believe that he didn't start riding until his early 40's. His wife bought him a new KTM a few years ago, but he prefers the Penton! Trail Rider should do an article on Young Ted.

:thumb:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Good thing you didn't face plant it. It really sucks when you're in front of a big crowd.:0

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Woodsy,

Old Ted is a legend on the enduro circuit.  He has been riding the Penton for ever.  You will see him at every enduro.  He finished the Jack Pine this year and did NOT have the highest score. 

Mike

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
JP results:

Young Ted - 4th in Masters class. Dropped 133. Penton

Low Point (18th in C Senior class). Dropped 192. KTM

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
A few items from the horse’s mouth before someone goes down the wrong trail. My thanks to Woodsy for the Labor Day Weekend Trail Report. It was heartwarming to see my surname in its correct form. You are among the few, Woodsy, that care enough to do things right. The Penton is a ’77-250 GS6. Those of you that know Pentons and read well will note Woodsy said he saw orange- ’74 would be steel tank and red.

On this I have to take you to task Woodsy. Our meeting was very special, and the high point of the whole ride for me. That your fellow riders are not identified is an injustice, which I am correcting. Woodsy is of course Scott Barnhard and the other 3 riders were Rich Santose, Bob Kuchai, and Randy Sneller. This was a special, memorable occasion and those who want to ban motorized recreation from all public lands, I ask this question. What right do you have to take away the pleasure of life the above meeting was?

That this Penton appears to weight 400 lbs is understandable. The rear tire is a 5.00 X 17, which is a heavier casing than a regular 110/100 X 18. Overall weight fully equipped for enduro riding will be very close to a Magic Button KTM. That I started riding enduros in my early 40’s, is the wrong end. It was actually 47. The new KTM thing is way off. My wife Connie and others have been after me for 20 years to buy a new bike and I always said no. Last June all the planets lined up correctly and I went out and bought a new ’02 KTM 250 with The Magic Button. With only 15 trail miles, no way would I say the Penton is liked better.

An article? One reason for riding the Penton is that I am writing about the trip for the Penton Owners Group Newsletter, Still…Keeping Track. This is the only place it will be available, and I am putting the arm on everyone to join POG. Check it out at www.PentonUSA.org.
Inca

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Inca,

I really enjoyed spending time with you and Connie this past weekend.  I did not get a chance to day good bye.  The sweeping duties took a lot longer than expected.

If you and Connie have a free weekend at the end of October, please join us at the Lansing Motorcycle Clubgrounds.  We are planning a trail ride on October 25 and 26 in Moorestown.  Checkout the forum - trailfest @ LMC.

Fatherandson (aka lil' Mike)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
HI INCA:
WELCOME to DRN!!!!
I stand corrected about the bike and ask your forgiveness for not putting my buddies names in the trail report. I was not sure how much of that was allowed on DRN and didnt want to take a chance on causing problems on the site - of course, it was worth the risk putting yours on - your screen name should be ICON!!!
Thanks for following up and tracing down this site!!
Also thanks for the phone call letting me know that all came out ok! Give me another jingle the next time your coming up and I will try and get a ride in with you and your "77-250 GS6" (see, I am learning). I WOULD LOVE TO!
I will also let the other guys know that they were offically "recognized" by "Young Ted"!!
This is great!!!!!!
Woodsy

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Hey Woodsy,

Check with Randy Sneller to see if he knows a couples of guys names Hills and Maurer.  I think I know him.

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Thanx, Woodsy, for "re-connecting" us with our ancient history...

Michael and I rode with guys named Sneller, Schaub, Oosterhouse, De Kryger, Erickson et al in the woods around Fremont in the 70's...

Then with Scharphorns, Del Solar, Sape, etc. in Dist 14 Enduros on thru the 80's, 90's and 00's....

It was good to see Ted and Connie at the Extravaganza...

Mike Sr.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Circuitrider:
Our paths have probably crossed tracts MANY times!! I raced out of Grand Haven Arctic Cat back in the early 70's (my best friends Dad owned the place). The "shop" was located across the highway from Lake Cycle and of course my "entanglements" involved a TON of Harescrambling and MXing with Ricky Sharphorn, Hank (Bob) Rezny and the crew! Ricky, Chuck Davis (drove a Elcamino and rode Honda and Yamaha) and I locked horns MANY times up at Old Mcdonalds Farm!! Those guys were ALWAYS trying to intice me over to the darkside ("penton" group). Even though my friends Dad sold Hodaka, I rode Yamaha until 73 when the Elsinores came out and then it was Honda - did REAL well in the 250 class back then Harescrambling a 250!!
Most of the people you mentioned are very familiar names around my area. Randy Sneller and I have been riding together for a while now! He is the only one of the "older" generation that I know of that is still VERY active in trail riding.
I, by chance, happen to bump into Bob Rezny the other day. I stopped at a yard sale not to far from the house and there he was!! I hadnt seen him, or any of the other guys, for years!!! We had TONS of fun talking about ol race days.. I asked about Ricky, I always enjoyed his "style"! Rezny said that Rick hasnt ridden in years - BUMMER!!
Randy was born and raised in Fremont so I am sure we speak of the same person. He was known in the Fremont area as "The Wheelie King" - the same title that I held in Fruitport - he and I still laugh about that one! I never got into the "Enduro" world but Randy did. He placed in the state rankings back then. I know he talks ALOT about the guys you have mentioned. I think him and Warren Hill, Gordy Oosterhouse, Mike Gill and the rest of them did a lot of riding together back then....
Anyway you look at, IT IS A SMALL WORLD!!
I will check with Randy today (we ride once a week and it is ride plannig day) and see if he knows "Hills and Maurer" and let you know!!
Wow "Young Ted", look what you started :)
Scott

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Fatherandson:
Just talked to Randy and he knows the two guys you are talking of real well. He used to ride/race with them both a lot!! YOu know what's really funny about all this, Randy was one of the guys that I BEGGED to come over to Gladwin with me this past spring to meet up with you guys!! Little did he know that if he would have he would have known half the folks over there!!

Do any of you guys remember Reggie Smith? He is another close friend of mine who hasnt ridden in years (another good ol Penton rider). I ALMOST had him talked into buying a used Penton from me a few years ago but he just didnt want to get back into the sport....
Carpe Diem
Woodsy

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Circuitrider (aka Mike Sr.) is the Maurer that Randy knows.  I would be the kid (Mike Jr.) running around waiting for permission to ride (in the '70s).

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
WHAT A SMALL WORLD!! HAHAHAHA - Randy is going to be soooooo ticked when he finds that out, he missed that Gladwin ride this past spring!!! Hey Mike Jr. - was Mike Senior on that ride? It seems to me that you told me at the ride that your dad couldnt make it to that one - is this correct or is my mind failing me??
Randy and I went over to that "old MX track" that he and Mike Gill put together back in the 70's near Newago a while ago. Some of the berms and the basic track layout are still visable!! It is, of course, NOT LEGAL TO RIDE anymore but it was still very neat to see!! You need a street legal bike just to get near it now!!
So you folks maybe very familiar with the "diamond trail", "Horseshoe Lake" and the Blue Lake/Sweeter Road trails (now called Cedar Creek Trail) then. I, as lots of folks over here, cut my teeth on those trails. Of course now the Diamond is the MCCCT and it is a "highway", only rideable at "speed" during off days (we do our riding during the weekdays) or it is REAL dangerous!! Do you remember the old bike bridge across the river (gone now) on the trail to Pines Point?? I watched more bikes fall in there :) only to be turned upside down/pumped out and restarted!!
Ahhhhhh, what mems!!
Woodsy

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Woodsy,

You gotta come to TF VI... and bring Randy with you...

Another old name was Schneeberger... he rode a Rickman Metisse 650 Triumph back when I had Victors... and we rode from Fremont and the Newaygo Sports Park up the Orange Diamond trail...

Some of us are members of the LMC and leave our trailers, etc at the clubgrounds at Moorestown... the site of TF VI...

Mike Sr.

Top Bottom