Another one goes to the dark side...

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
OK - I have been riding my WhyZee 125 for a little less than a year now and I am pretty tired of having to work so hard to try to go faster.

Hmmmm. What to do? I'll never be another Bubba Stewart on my 125. At 37 years old I need to think outside the box. Or in this case outside the premix.

This morning I was very busy plotting and scheming. I found a smoking deal on a 2002 YZ426F and I did it. I pulled the trigger. I have joined the dark side. :p

The story gets more twisted. Friday I sold my twin's PW80s to the 1st guy that looked at them. Hmmmm. What to do? More plotting and scheming....

Solution - go to N. TX Yamaha and get 2 brand spankin' new 2003 Yamaha TTR 125s for the twins.

After the day's adventures of buying 3 new bikes today we all finally got to go riding this evening at about 5:30. My and my sons are now fully converted to the ways of the dark side and the most notable side effect is that we are all going to bed with the biggest grins (that just might very well be permanent) plasterd on our faces.

More to come (and pictures too)! :aj:

-jeffd

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
a new word revealed!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by jeffd
I have joined the dark side.
Jeff, What were you thinking!!! :scream:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by MikeT
Jeff, What were you thinking!!! :scream:

I am thinking just how absolutely much I am glad to be riding my 426F instead of constantly shifting and clutching the snot out of my 125. Power is goooooooood.

I think I cracked my face from smiling so much after riding the new thumper!

BTW - If you want to update your '96 tiddler to a '98 model - I happen to have one for sale! ;)

-jeffd

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
I've never stayed drunk long enough to make three really bad decisions in one day! Wow! :p

I bet that opion is not shared by your contemporaries - lol! :eek:

No bad decisions here folks. I am happy. The kids are happy. Is there anything else? Mission accomplished.

FWIW - The twins will most likely be on YZ85's in a couple of years (unless they come out with a smokin' mini thumper :aj: ).

-jeffd

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I too am joining the dark side. Put a deposit on an 03250f. Guess Ill have to start reading that thumper forum.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
They're droppin like flies! Sheep over a cliff! Don't look into the light, it's a bad, bad thing. I guess I could get used to just turning the throttle.:| Why not take it a step further and buy an automatic!:moon: Should have considered a 250, less shifting and clutching! Sorry to hear your loss!:)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
4 strokes pppffft ...... ;)

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by a454elk
They're droppin like flies! Sheep over a cliff! Don't look into the light, it's a bad, bad thing. I guess I could get used to just turning the throttle.:| Why not take it a step further and buy an automatic!:moon: Should have considered a 250, less shifting and clutching! Sorry to hear your loss!:)

No regrets here and nothing lost, but so much was gained (like HP and TQ) :aj:

-jeffd

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by Thump
Jeff, you are gonna love it. That much power will make you lazy though.

Ummm. Too late. I am already lazy. That's the reason I got the 426 instead of the 250F. I am just waiting on the automatic tranny version with a recumbant seating postion and electric starter. Oh wait. That would almost make it a Harley. :confused:

JK - I still have to work while riding it. With my skinny 170 lb. frame it is all I can do to keep it pointed in the right direction and still manage to hold on! Truth be told - I haven't had that much fun riding in a while. I am very happy with my decision.

-jeffd

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
Jeff,
Welcome! Glad you went with the 4stroke. No more bantering with topends once a month. Gee, bet you'll miss that! That 426 will be good to you. Enjoy!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by jeffd
BTW - If you want to update your '96 tiddler to a '98 model - I happen to have one for sale! ;)
No Thanks, my '96 is fine for now. I actually rode a '98 YZ400 last year and had a BLAST on it. It was really a lot of fun. I like the 4 strokes, I just don't have the $$$ to buy one. If I bought one, I would like one that is a little quieter than what they have now, also a little lighter. I read the article on the 2003 YZ450 and it sounds good. The Honda also is something I would take a look at. I can deal with the weight it's just the Bucks right now.. I'm sure you'll have fun on it. I'll probably end up getting one in about 5 years when my '96 wears out ;)

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I hate to do this but here goes. In my opinion the weight is not an issue(unless your in the pro ranks), I'm also 6'1" and about 175 with all my gear on and I have to say that once I am in good shape, I don't even think about the weight. If it bothers you that much, beef that upper body strength up :) Weight is not a problem with me, of course I'm not out there doing big whips either.

Btw don't listen to a454elk, he keeps his zuki in the back of the cruck or in the garage anyway. :) :)

And as for being on the dark side, the first time I pulled the trigger on one... I saw the light :p

Have fun and enjoy your new bikes.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by SirThumper
I hate to do this but here goes. In my opinion the weight is not an issue(unless your in the pro ranks), I'm also 6'1" and about 175 with all my gear on and I have to say that once I am in good shape, I don't even think about the weight. If it bothers you that much, beef that upper body strength up :) Weight is not a problem with me, of course I'm not out there doing big whips either.

Btw don't listen to a454elk, he keeps his zuki in the back of the cruck or in the garage anyway. :) :)

And as for being on the dark side, the first time I pulled the trigger on one... I saw the light :p

Have fun and enjoy your new bikes.

The weight of the bike thing isn't an issue with me. I really didn't notice that much difference. The fact of the matter is that I am still getting used to the POWER of the 426 after coming off my mini-bike (125)!

Why would I ever listen to elk? I mean the guy rides a yellow bike and he can't even decide if he wants to drive a car or a truck. :p

-jeffd

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by SirThumper
I hate to do this but here goes. In my opinion the weight is not an issue(unless your in the pro ranks),
I can deal with the weight it's just the Bucks right now..
Sir, you're not referring to my post correct? I just said, I'd like them to be lighter

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
You'll see, you'll ALL see!! That fire breathin zuki got out this weekend and she is ready for another. ;) I just leave her in the elk in case a quick exit is necessary!:) The more weight in the back, the better the traction!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I think it's time for ELK's distemper shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Sure, go ahead and take the easy way out. Just think about all the fun your gonna miss not having to premix your gas, downshifting up hills and changing the top end every 3 months. Thats how you bond with your ride. Next we are gonna hear that you got an electric start to go with that blue beast. Turn back Obie Won while there still time.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by Boodac
Sure, go ahead and take the easy way out. Just think about all the fun your gonna miss not having to premix your gas, downshifting up hills and changing the top end every 3 months. Thats how you bond with your ride. Next we are gonna hear that you got an electric start to go with that blue beast. Turn back Obie Won while there still time.

Consider me bonded via past experience. I won't miss creating the pre-mix cocktails and doing top-ends one bit. No-sir-ree-bob.

No need for electric start, thank you. Me and the big thumper get along quite nicely. She starts with my leg every time. I use the force for the dark side and to start the blue beast. :p

-jeffd

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000

Sir, you're not referring to my post correct? I just said, I'd like them to be lighter

Correct! I will admit that I wish they were lighter, it's just that it doesn't bother me that they're not. The main two complaints I hear from 2-strokers are that they are heavy and hard to start.

Other complaints I hear....The roost hurts...Damn 4-strokes...did you see how fast that thing went by me....couldn't hear my own bike...had to keep looking over my shoulder to see if another one was coming... :aj: :) :)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Elk, you're missing the point: these guys need something they can ride with the kids. When they go on a real ride with guys on real race bikes they'll know why some of us stick with our lighter, pipier 2-smokes! :debil:

Top Bottom