RideSnwTimyD

Apr 13, 2003
I know this question has been asked millions of times but i need help on to what bike to get. ok. I am new to the sport and I want to get into it. I've been to the desert once with a group of friends and rode a quad around when they rode there bikes. I rode my friends bike for a lil bit and was stoked. I am totally hooked to the sport. I've been askin my bros questions on what bike to get they all tell me different things. They style of riding im goin to do is mostly just trail, dune, some small jumps, and etc. I dont plan on racing only racing with friends when were messing around at the desert. Im 5'9" and weigh bout 155. I've never really ridden a dirt bike before but i catch on to things quick. My budget is around 2000 and down. I only plan on riding on weekends maybe twice a month. My friends tell me kx125's are unreliable and to only go honda and yamaha. And definitely get a 4 stroke but for some reason im drawn to 2 strokes. But from reading from these posts, kx's sound great. I'm just not sure what to look for anymore. Please help me out. thanks Tim

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by TimmyD
I know this question has been asked millions of times but i need help on to what bike to get. ok. I am new to the sport and I want to get into it. I've been to the desert once with a group of friends and rode a quad around when they rode there bikes. I rode my friends bike for a lil bit and was stoked. I am totally hooked to the sport. I've been askin my bros questions on what bike to get they all tell me different things. They style of riding im goin to do is mostly just trail, dune, some small jumps, and etc. I dont plan on racing only racing with friends when were messing around at the desert. Im 5'9" and weigh bout 155. I've never really ridden a dirt bike before but i catch on to things quick. My budget is around 2000 and down. I only plan on riding on weekends maybe twice a month. My friends tell me kx125's are unreliable and to only go honda and yamaha. And definitely get a 4 stroke but for some reason im drawn to 2 strokes. But from reading from these posts, kx's sound great. I'm just not sure what to look for anymore. Please help me out. thanks Tim

Well, first off their statements about the KX 125s being unreliable are pure BS and are out of ignorance. All bikes are reliable these days.

If your looking at a 125, a KX is a great choice. I think KX's are great bikes, since they have that low-mid end power, where no matter what type of rider you are, it will come in handy. If you are a beginner, you can use that low end power to get in front, and even as an expert, you can gun it right out of turns and before jumps. Not to mention, since you are doing tight trails and such, the low end power is what you want. So the KX would be great for you, as well as an RM.

But pretty much whatever you choose you will adapt to and do great on. And I know what you mean about those 2-strokes. Theres nothing like them. Just pulling the throttle back and having the front end of the bike lift on you is just something. Plus they sound cool and once you get more knowledgeble, they will be very easy to take care of, and easier to do mainitinace work. (ie: I would much rather rebuild a 2-stroke than a 4 but thats me)

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Timmy,
You have all ready stated you like the KX's, now go out and find one! :thumb: You need to be more concerned about taking a friend with you that has some mechanical knowledge to help look over bike. Look at the tires, chain/sprockets, rims, sound of the motor, frame for cracks, movement in the linkage that may indicate wear, etc.

Top Bottom