truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I was sitting here earlier today sending an e-mail to some friends about my view of how this whole online thing got started. I remember in 1997 seeing the likes of USENET's RMD and the first Suthin SF and then in 2000 how we had a Spodefest that included RMD and DRN regulars from around the country.

Then Okie took things to a new level and instead of a small gathering and being rather disorganized he created Dirtweek. Dirtweek grew the following year and last year it grew into something bigger. This year it seems to be growing again.

One thing that us Internet nerds who have been around a while can attest to is that none of this would have happened if it wasn't for there being more good members in this sport than bad. Dirtweek is special b/c of the quality of those that show up and the help you can get from each and ever person there.

So... in that spirit I want to say thanks to all of those this year who will make it to Oklahoma and thanks to those that won't make it or are doing something smaller someplace else. Either way a group of good dirtbikers riding together is a good thing and is something YOU guys created.

All DW is to me is a celebration of the dirtbiker spirit.

Ivan

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Bravo.
Point of Clarification: the first one was in 2000. This year is the 4th.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Shoot... sorry about that. I keep forgetting that we did the thing at TNT in April and then the fullblown DRN around September... ooopsy!

I made an edit :)

Ivan

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
You are right Ivan, it is the people that bring me out to these far away, remote places. The first year I went to the original DRN spodefest my wife thought I was losing my mind. She could not believe I was driving that far to spend 4 days riding with people I "don't even know". On my way to LTM in Casey I stopped in Indy to pick up a bike(not a rider), There is no doubt in my mind that Alans(bundubasher) wife thought he had totally lost his mind, to let(no he helped) load his bike on a complete strangers trailer and then watched me drive away. He had no way to get his bike there and e-mailed me to see if I could help. I had never met the man before in my life. :) He also was going on a feeling that he had....that I would actually have his bike at Casey when he got there. :eek: When I got there I parked by this guy named Bob( :confused: ) and his dog Cowboy kept an eye on everything so I spent the night in a motel in Casey and did not even worry about any of my stuff. That would be the last year for a motel, camping is the only way to go. :thumb: It was overwhelming.....to finally get to put faces with these names. These are absolutely the greatest bunch of people you will ever meet.

Anyone that is questioning their sanity for wanting to do this........You will never meet a finer group of people anywhere. If you aren't sure what to bring........don't worry about it, there will surely be someone that has what you seek and will gladly give it. There is not a finer group of people anywhere on this planet.

For the people that are concerned about not being very fast.....don't worry about that either. There are riders of all levels and people that are very willing to show you how to go faster if that is your wish. The best part of DirtWeek happens off the track anyways.

For the first time I was unable to make a Dirtweek last year and it was devastating. To read and see the pictures people were posting was more than I could stand. Don't let anything keep you away.....You will regret it. It does not get any better.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
.....On my way to LTM in Casey I stopped in Indy to pick up a bike(not a rider), There is no doubt in my mind that Alans(bundubasher) wife thought he had totally lost his mind, to let(no he helped) load his bike on a complete strangers trailer and then watched me drive away. ...

Yep - and when he had to leave Casey a few days later - Alan (BunduBasher) gave me (at the time a complete stranger) his bike -  loaded it up on my trailer and left with nothing but my assurance that i'd drop it off at his apartment in Indy the next day.

I've never heard of anyone not haveing a good time at DW.  An injury - possibly but a bad time - never!   :cool:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Dirtweek last year reminded me that there are GOOD people in this world. I'm bummed that I only discovered DRN last year and missed all the prior gatherings.

I have had the pleasure of meeting and/or conversing with the some of the finest people at Dirtweek and here on DRN.

Thanks all for restoring my FAITH in humanity.

To those on the fence, jump on in! You will not regret, for a minute, the decision to come to Cooperland. Don't worry about your ability. Don't worry about your equipment. It is just like dancing, nobody is watching.

Simply said ... memories and friendships to last a lifetime.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
On my way to LTM in Casey I stopped in Indy to pick up a bike(not a rider), There is no doubt in my mind that Alans(bundubasher) wife thought he had totally lost his mind, to let(no he helped) load his bike on a complete strangers trailer and then watched me drive away.

That's funny. My 1st DRN ride experience was Amarillofest 2002. The group was a small one and I had never met any of the guys or gals before that trip. I didn't find out I was going to be able to make the trip untill 2 days before but I was so excited I posted on DRN to make sure my invite was still good, it was. I get this PM from Alan (bundubasher) saying his brother (doubletrouble) lives about 30 miles from me and asked if I could haul his bike to Amarillo. I agreed and called Neal and made the arrangements to pick up his bike the day before. It was a funny thing when I pulled up to his house, shook his hand and introdiced myself and said "I'm here to load up you bike." He said "okay, I'll help you." As I was leaving he said "I hope I see you in Amarillo." I said, "you will." We both agreed it would seem pure insanity for anyone else but coming from DRN brothers and sisters just seemed to make it right.

Originally posted by Tony Eeds
Thanks all for restoring my FAITH in humanity.
No! Thank you Tony.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Have you ever been to a LARGE sporting event?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Football?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>NASCAR?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>SX?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If you have, you have seen big BIG money, million dollar motor homes, expensive cars and lots of <I>Security.</I>:scream: Let me tell you about a site that I saw late one day @ <B>DW02.</B>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Parked on the side of the Finish Line jump, at Cooperland, sitting on my brand spanking new YZF450, I saw a beautiful thing.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Not million dollar motor homes or expensive cars. I saw the <I>richest</I> people on the planet.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><I>Security</I>?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>You bet!<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Total strangers keeping an eye on your bikes, your tools, <B>YOUR KIDS</B>, and your coolers!:laugh:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Total strangers that have ALL become friends, not just someone you have been around and are comfortable with, I’m talking about <B><I>real friends</I></B>.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Regardless of your beliefs, every one dreams on a <I>Utopia</I> or <I>Mecca</I> of sorts.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Well, if you ride dirt bikes, whether you just started or have won an AMA National MX Championship, you will find your <I>Utopia</I> @ <B>DW03.</B><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><B><I>Dirtweek</I></B> is where strangers meet and become friends and leave as family. :cool:

You have all probably heard, “no pain, no gain” or “no risk, no reward” well, now hear this, “no travel, no adventure”.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Take it from me, the President of the Heartland Spodes, come to our little backyard play ground just outside of Stillwater, Oklahoma, September 29<SUP>th</SUP> through October 4<SUP>th</SUP> and find <B>OUR</B> <I>Utopia</I>.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It only comes around once a year for 6 days and then you have to wait 359 more days for the next one.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Whether you ride a CRF, a CZ, a Maico, or a clapped out 125 with JB Weld plugging the hole in your transmission, you are Welcome!<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The economy has hit many of you/us hard.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If you can’t afford to travel alone, put out the call, your DRN buds WILL help you out.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>There is no other place that you can try out every bike you ever wanted to ride, eat some foods you never heard of and all for the price of admission, $20/day.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Bring an extra $10 dollars for the Saturday Afternoon PIGOUT, no cooking, no cleaning up, just some good BBQ and good friends.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>And, every ticket sold for the PIGOUT will be eligible to win a Craftsman Tool set.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Finally, you will leave <B>DWO3</B> a few pounds heavier, sore from head to toe(<I>toes</I> in some cases).:laugh: but somehow you will know that you have family all around the world.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Your real family, coworkers, and acquaintances will still think you're crazy when you tell of your newfound faith in decency and faith in your fellow man.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It is contagious, so, catch it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The only cure for this disease is a return NEXT year and renew the memories of the best Family Reunion you will ever attend.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Brian :thumb:

Last edited:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
My dad, the big top owner, stopped by Cooperland last year to see what was happening. I remember seeing him standing there in the middle of it all with a dazed look on his face. So many people, just hanging out, bikes, motorhomes trailers everywhere, but no rudeness or anything of the sort. Everyone acting like they were at a family reunion. He asked me, "Are all you rides like this?"

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by justql
My dad, the big top owner, stopped by Cooperland last year to see what was happening. I remember seeing him standing there in the middle of it all with a dazed look on his face. So many people, just hanging out, bikes, motorhomes trailers everywhere, but no rudeness or anything of the sort. Everyone acting like they were at a family reunion. He asked me, "Are all you rides like this?"
You didn't introduce him to Sarge? :laugh:

Top Bottom