gretch6364

May 21, 2007
Hello,
I just joined the forums and I know you get sick of people asking what bike to get, but here is another one...here is a little about me

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
- I am 25, 5'11" 180 LBS.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
- I would say I am rather physical, I ski a ton, bike, played rugby in college
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
- I live in Denver and will be riding with two friends
4) Do you have any riding experience?
- I have ridden a dirt bike a couple times just around some fields, been on quads a good bit - in PA farm land, racing and 4x4 style, never been on a street bike, been snowmobiling a little
5) Do you think you will race ?
- Maybe some day riding around some tracks no formal comps though
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
- I am very mechanical and have worked alot on cars

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? - I would prefer a 2-stoke and I like honda and yamaha

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? - Lots of dealers in denver

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? - I would like to get geared up for under 3.5K...maybe 2K to 2.5K for a bike?
10) Do you live in California? - Denver
11) Your age? - 25
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I am just wondering if I can handle a 250 as a new rider. Will a 125 be to small and will I get board? There is a lot of climbing at high elevations so will I be lacking power in the 125? I have a condo in Breck where we will ride alot and that is 8K to 13K of elevation. I will be riding some woods, but moab is close and I hear there is alot of great places to ride out in western Colorado.

Any help would be appreciated.

gretch6364

May 21, 2007
Sorry to post again, but does anyone have any experience at these high elevations? I know my Jeep seems to have less power up there. I would imagine with as much hill climbing as I will be doing, plus I have been told of alot of high alpine trails, is the 250 a safer bet?

Thanks

gretch6364

May 21, 2007
Well I did a little research and it is estimated that an engine losses 3% of its power for every 1000 ft. So if I am riding at 10K feet, I will lose 30% of my power compared to riding as sea level....definitely sounds like I should get the bigger bike. I am a drummer and I think I have pretty good hand eye coordination so I should be able to not be super jerky with the throttle. 95% of my riding will occur at 5,000 feet of elevation or higher so I will be down 15% compared to sea level pretty much at all times.

May 10, 2007
but if you are used to have lost the power you cant miss it.

its like how can you miss something you never had. you will learn that the 15 percent loss is normal

when you ride at sealevel (or closer to it) you will think you will have more power instead of having less power at where you ride (does that make sense)

gretch6364

May 21, 2007
It makes sense...I just want a balance between not getting left behind and killing myself. That is why I am trying to decide between a 250 and a 125. I want a 2-stroke. I may end up spending more money if I can find a nice bike at a dealer that has financing available. I just don't have 6 grand in cash sitting around.

So I guess it comes down to how much power does a 250 have at 5K feet and will it be to much.

Thanks

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
motoxguy47 said:
im thinking you should get a 250 or 450f...
does anybody read anything that anyone posts?
gretch6364 said:
Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? - I would prefer a 2-stoke and I like honda and yamaha
Motoxguy needs a course in reading comprehension

gretchguy, I'm thinkin' you'll do fine on a 250, as you will spend more time fiddling with the jetting on the 125 due to the elevation you ride at. Either a Honda or Yamaha will be a fine machine.

gretch6364

May 21, 2007
Sounds good to me....I will just stay away from riding anything super gnar for the first couple months. I am going to go look at bikes tonight....I am pretty excited.

I am a little apprehensive about the whole jetting thing...but that is just the nature of high alpine riding I guess. Plus if I buy from a dealer in Denver or take a used bike for a run through at a Denver dealer...I am sure they can give me some guidance and imagine they deal with this all the time.

Thanks for the help guys....I am going to try and find a CR250 or a YZ250.

Top Bottom