Big Pappa

Jun 9, 2008
Who Is Better??? What should I get?

Hey guys my name is Kris, I have been a lurker here for a while and finally created a profile. I have been riding ATVs for ever but am looking to get a bike to play on for excitement. I have been looking at the KTM 300 (Is there a MX class for this?), KTM 250, KTM 450F, YZ250 and YZ450F. I am a Yamaha fan from way back, but the KTM has started to grow on me seeing what they have don in the past years at the Perry Mountain 24 Hour Challenge. I have been to every one but the 2nd one. My granddad lives about 5 miles from there and my dad used to be a member and rode up there forever. We go every year, camp out and watch the races.

Anyway here is my info.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'-11" 225#

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
7 out of 10

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Trail, HareScrambles and some MX No SX

4) Do you have any riding experience?
I have been riding ATVs for about 24 years and am very experienced on them. I have road everything from an 80 up to an 800 with no problems. I had an 80 dirt bike for a couple of years when I was about 13, rode a Honda 500 a few times when I was about 15 and have rode my dads old 70's 250 with no problems. (I know big difference from todays bikes)

5) Do you think you will race ?
Yes

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Most definetly. I do all my own work so it is done right. First purchase after a new bike is a tech manual.

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Either or

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes. Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
I was thinking of around $4-5K on a good used bike.

10) Do you live in California?
No

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion?
I am not scared of a big bike and do respect the power they have. What every I get I would ride trails on it for at least 2-3 months or more before even attempting to race. Then the first couple of races would be at about 80% until I get completely used to the bike.

That is all I can think of, if you have any other questions fire away.

Kris

Last edited:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
If you like doing all of your own work then I'd go with a 2t personally. Just easier to work on. 250 or larger would work just fine for you. Any brand really. They're all pretty much the same these days. The most important thing is to be patient and find a GOOD used bike that has been well taken care of. If you're willing to spend 4-5k then it shouldn't be a problem getting a nice one.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The KTM300 is a great bike, but like GH pointed out, finding one that has been well maintained is key. A thrashed KTM will be expensive to fix. A good clean used one will probably be more expensive than a comparable Japanese bike, but will probably prove to be worth the extra money in the long run.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
The KTM300 is a great bike, but like GH pointed out, finding one that has been well maintained is key. A thrashed KTM will be expensive to fix. A good clean used one will probably be more expensive than a comparable Japanese bike, but will probably prove to be worth the extra money in the long run.
mark the date: Rich said something good about a KTM! :yikes:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom