irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
I plan on buying next summer.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I am about 5'11 and my weight currently is about 190, but I plan to keep losing weight to around 160-170, at which point I may start weight lifting/training again and the weight may go back up some.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
It really depends on the day, Id have to say Moderatley, with a possible intention of being moreso.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Anything and everything really, not planning on racing currently, but I wouldnt rule it out. Currently Im more interested in trails, woods, fields, maybe some tracks.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
I used to ride dirtbikes when I was younger... started on a honda 75cc I think, and then moved on to a 125cc. I outgrew both.

5) Do you think you will race ?
its a possibility.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Not so mechanically inclined, but not opposed to learning within reason.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I think I'd probably prefer a 4 stroke.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I don't know if I will have enough money to buy something brand new, but yes there are many dealers around here.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
I do not know how much money I will have by next summer, but I would like to keep the price relatively low.

10) Do you live in California?
No.

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
No.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
For Woods trails and just screwing around a Honda XR250/400 will fit the bill very nicely. They are reliable, very woods friendly, 4 stroke, cheap, fun. They will exceed your expectations in everything you listed except for racing. They are not setup for racing. If you later down the road decide you want to race competitively than look no farther than look into a crf250R or X. But these machines really need to be maintained and might be a bit of a handful for someone on not as experienced on the trails or track.

irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
I found a 2001 XR400 for around 2000 grand, unfortunatley at this time i cant afford it yet, but yea I was leaning towards one of those 2.

irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
bringing back the dead, i wasnt able to get a dirtbike last summer due to a diagnosis of lyme disease and being sick...

this year its happening though :-)

anyones opinions change on this?

some updates

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I am about 5'11 and my weight currently is about 230

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Anything and everything really, not planning on racing currently......

Last edited:

irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
I've read around the the XR400 can feel like the bike rides you and not the other way around.... any thoughts on this?

Also, should i go for the XR400R? or the non R?

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
I have a XR250 and i like it better than the XR400, the power is nice on the 400 but the 250 handles alot better in the woods, just seems like the 400 is big and bulky but i see you are a big guy so that might be better for you.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
Don't take this offensively but last year you said you weighed 190 and you planned on losing weight and this year you weigh 230 and you still plan on losing weight. So regardless if you gain or lose weight I think you should stick with the choice of an XR400, if you can find one. A 250 would do fine as well. The beauty with a four stroke is the torque, so regardless it will be able to haul pretty much anyone around. If you have some extra cash lying around you can look out for a CRF450X or a CRF250 or 230. They should all do the trick. Please don't take my post offensively.

Apr 30, 2007
Actually, if you do a lot of riding, it really helps you get in shape...

If you can, try an XR 250. If you feel like there's not enough power, there's always the option of selling it and waiting for another 400 to show up.

If you buy used, these bikes don't lose their value very quickly.

Racing on an XR250 (without a LOT of mods) is pretty much out of the question, but it will pull you around just fine on a trail ride.

However, with minimal maintentence, they will run forever.

irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
Jeromeo said:
Don't take this offensively but last year you said you weighed 190 and you planned on losing weight and this year you weigh 230 and you still plan on losing weight. So regardless if you gain or lose weight I think you should stick with the choice of an XR400, if you can find one. A 250 would do fine as well. The beauty with a four stroke is the torque, so regardless it will be able to haul pretty much anyone around. If you have some extra cash lying around you can look out for a CRF450X or a CRF250 or 230. They should all do the trick. Please don't take my post offensively.

No offense taken, when i posted last year, I had just got done with a super extensive diet and had ambitions to lose even more... Unfortunatley, I got diagnosed with lyme disease which came with its own problems, and my weight coming back.

I however, did go to the dealer ship, and sat on a 250, and a 400, though they werent XR's... the 400 was just too big and intimidating for me right now, its been years since I have been on a bike... 250 felt comfortable though.

I do wonder though, why the reccomendation for the XR's from everyone so far, I went through the autotrader book in my area, and I found alot of Kawasaki's, Suzuji's, Yamaha's... etc, and alot of Honda CR's.

I only found one XR which was a 1999 Honda XR250 for $1,800 OBO, but some of these other bikes seem like good deals too, and im still debating on wether I want to look for a dualsport.

irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
I talked to the guy today, its a 2002 XR250R, he bought it in 2004, hasnt ridden it much. Says it may need a little carb work done, he can get it started, but has to keep it revved to keep it started. Said average retail is $1740 low is like $1500, but he said if i come up and look at it just to make a reasonable offer because he just wants to get rid of it...

Apr 30, 2007
Jump on that! With a little care, the bike will be good as new again, and will last.

Generally speaking (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) the XR gets recommended for several reasons.

1 - Reliability. They are prettymuch bullet proof. They don't need much maintenence. And the little that it does need is really pretty easy. Honda also has a pretty good reputation for reliability as well.

2 - Power. This thing is an all around great bike. It's fantastic for beginners because the power is predictable and steady. It won't die as easily if you're starting out and let out the clutch a little too soon. If you have it revved just a little higher, than you're supposed to, it won't flip over instantly. The power is also good because you can get used to it, and not run out half as quickly as other bikes.

3 - Price. They are pretty inexpensive as far as bikes go, and there are no "hidden costs" usually. Hidden costs include things like valve jobs, bottom or top ends (on 2-strokes, and newer 4-strokes)...

4 - Seat height. Is lower. This basically means more than just super tall people (5'5" and taller :nener: ) can ride them. Also, for beginning riders, a lower seat height provides a little more confidence since more focus can be dedicated to operating the bike instead of trying to figure out how to not tip over at a standstill (a problem I still have after 8 years of riding).

That clarify things a little?

irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
Said he only changed the oil once, but hes only put like 30 some hours on it... it sat for a year recently and didnt have the carb problems until then. Basically it will start up fine, and everything but once it warms up it starts sputtering. No tears, very few scratches, says everything is great with it except for the carb problems.... said he doesnt know what the carb problems are, since he hasnt had a chance to open it up. Before the bike sat, he said it didnt have the problems...

doesnt sound like he really cared to maintain it all that well, not sure how well that bodes.

May 10, 2007
i wouldnt be worried too much about the oil issue.

like it was previously mentioned these bikes are bulletproof.

as for carb problems if it came after it was sitting it probably just needs a good cleaning (which is simple)

Apr 30, 2007
Really, I think you'll be fine with this bike.

Like fuzzball said, carb cleaning is really easy.

The XRs don't need the oil changed every 3 hours like the race bikes do. You change your car's oil every 50 - 100 hours (3,000 miles takes 50 hours when driving 60 mph).

If the bike was not taken care of (beaten to death) you'd notice it a lot more. There would be tears and scuffs and deep scratches all over. The bike would be dirty. The owner probably wouldn't know that the bike had a carb problem. And he definitely wouldn't know how to change the oil.

Those would be warning signs to look for. You haven't reported any of them...

Top Bottom