DTH

Sep 21, 2001
taking my bike apart for the winter and noticed somebody has put this roost boost electrical add on. bike runs good with it. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about this item. I would like to remove it but I don't know if the timing would have to be changed. Thanks Dan

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I too have this little device on my '87 CR125. It looks like it could hold a AA battery in it, and it connects between two wires coming from the engine that connect to two wires coming from the cdi or some electronic thing up in the frame. I just took it off and connected the wires like they're supposed to be, I have not noticed a difference at all.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I scanned mine.

Attachments

• roostboost.jpg
    roostboost.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,092

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I think they made the spark hotter or something like that.. I remember seeing them "back in the day"

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
MX547,
What was it supposed too do?? I think it had something too do w/spark, can't remember..
Thanks,
Rick

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
Been a while since I've seen this question come up. Back when these came out I smashed one completely apart to see what was inside. I was in electronics school at the time. What I found was one 2 watt 22K ohm resistor that is tied across the two wires going in that come from the trigger coil on the stator. So what does that 10 cent resistor do? Nothing, absolutley nothing. The coil and CDI box from an electrical stand point barely even know it is there. It was a bunch of hype inside a fancy package. I actually made some of my own and sold them for $20. Took me 5 min and $1 to make. Even though I couldn't tell the difference, I had guys swear to me it helped.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
so what was its claimed purpose? was it to supposedly to give more accurate spark timing by isolating the cdi from any haphazard electricity being made. Until the magnet was right over the trigger coil making enough electricity to jump the resistance?

92cr

May 18, 2002
If I remember correctly,Answer's claim was that it produced a longer spark duration and burned the fuel more efficiently.I believe they also produced a Roostboost II which was rectangular and had cooling fins on it.Don't know if it made a difference on any model.

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
Originally posted by mopowa
that sounds awesome! where can I get one?

Radio Shack has resistors if you want one. About $.10. Connect it inline with bullet connectors and you could try it with and without to see if it helps even.

Sounds like Answer had a heck of a marketing idea there.

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
THX FOR THE RESPONSES I THINK I'LL REMOVE IT DTH
DTH, this is the future speaking, lol, crusty old post, I had a 1986 cr-2fiddy, and the ignition was crap, I put a roost boost on it, and it actually worked. Cr's of the past have always had shabby ignition systems, due to the fact they used a plastic alternator cover, one wipe out, and it was bent like a politicians promises, lol! You get water in it, and its time to take it all apart and fix it. Too much work for a dirt bike! So it did work for a ailing bike needing some spark, doy!
1981_cr250.jpg

Top Bottom