Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
Since I started running my 98 KDX 220 this year I have been smelling anti-freeze when its hot. At first I figured it was from the over flow but there was no sign that it has been over flowing, whatched the level in the over flow and it hasn't moved, figured it was just the smell from where i had the rad cap off and it had spilled a bit. 60 Km later I can still smell anti-freeze there is even a sweet smell in the exhaust. The bike isn't blowing white exhaust the plug looks good (Light brown on tip and black on threads.) and there is still no sign of a leak.:think Has this ever happened to any one else or does any one have any ideas.

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
If you smell it in the exhaust it has to be leaking a small amount into the combustion chamber. With the smoke from the two stroke oil it would take a big leak in order for the steam to be very noticeable. If it's going to be a long time before you give it a new top end it might be worthwhile to change out the head gasket and try to get it fixed now.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
My 99 220 did this till I tossed the over flow bottle, It was the over flow cap on my bike, maybe yours too?

Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
Re:Anti-Frezze smell

I thought of the overflow cover but there is no noticable leak, and if it was I wouldn't expect to smell it in the exhaust. If it is a small leak inturnally how will this effect the motor?:eek:

Top Bottom