Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Looking for some advice while trying to help my son's friend who no one in the family knows anything about working on bikes it seems and can't really afford expensive repairs at the shop. Scary when someone comes to me for assistance with repairs :) Anyway when he changed the oil on this 94 RM80 the first maybe 5% of the oil had a definite green tint (antifreeze?) to it. My question is what seal might this be and how big a job is it? Do the cases need to be split or is this something on the water pump side that can be fixed without splitting the cases? And lastly is this something that should get tended to immediately or is it of the nature that could wait until fall when I had planned to try to help him do a complete rebuild at the same time I learn to do the complete rebuild on my old RM125. Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated.

TFR

Oct 25, 2000
Chili,
You don't have to split the cases. It is the water pump seal that is bad. Drain the oil and anti freeze. You'll have to remove the kick starter, clutch cable and hoses from cover. Remove the clutch cover. The water pump impeller is under the small cover attached to the clutch cover (remove this cover too). There is a small clip on the back side of the water pump shaft. Remove that and slide the shaft out. Inspect the shaft where the seal rides. If this is ridged or rough at all you'll need to replace the shaft too. You can pry the seal out with a srew driver if you are careful. Pry it out towards the outside of the cover. Inspect the H2O bearing and see if it is worn. If so replace the also. New parts need are: Water pump seal, clutch cover gasket, water pump gasket, impeller/shaft?, bearing?. To install the new seal find a small socket that will fit over the lip of the seal and inside the hole in the cover. CAREFULLY tap the seal into place. Re-assemble. Any question e-mail me. www.2fastracing.com

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
If you pull the water pump cover off and take off the impellar you will see a seal behind the impellar, this is the water pump seal. It keeps coolant from entering the motor. It is a very easy job to do. Just pull out the old seal and replace it with a new one.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Thx for the replies guys. Looks like I'm going to have lot's of time on my hands to do this job as riding is going to take a back seat for awhile, my son broke his arm in two places mountain biking today on a school field trip and has a date with the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow.

Top Bottom