Any Advice for "Vintage bike" wanna be?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Smit Dog/F&S

The story is that the original owner bought it new in 76, rode it a bit, not lots though, until around 79 or 80. then they basically parked it...rode it maybe once a year just to say they did. It appears that for the last 5 years or more they did not even do that once a year ride with it. The guy i bought it from bought it simply to sell and make a couple $ on - did nothing to it other than maybe wash it, only owned it since late this fall.

right now it is down to the frame - engine out - all else off. I pulled the top end - its on the original OEM piston standard size, not looking bad at all. Bore looks fine no scores at all. have not measured it yet to see if its in spec or not - i suspect it is darn close though (likely the classic egg shape open class bikes tend to get a bit quicker). Just to be safe i may replace the piston and rings on the stock bore (assuming it measures up ok). I have been amazed at how well various bits have cleaned up - like the chain guide - a bit of elbow grease and it is shiny like new and not at all beat up - heck the chain roller appears to be the original one and not even worn noticably.

Oh - the new scoots name is Frank - dont ask how or why...my rule is the name must just "come to me"...and the other night as i walked out the door to the garage - i commented to my wife... "i'm going to go work on Frank now"...maybe that name is due to the 79 RM400 i had that was named Fred? something with those "f" names....like when they stall on a slimey hill with no good footing...and a big piston to kick over.... :p

Hey i know them tanks around 612 - years ago (back when Frank was still being ridden i suspect!) I was riding around Jones lake (north east of Grayling) near 612. I came around a corner face to face with a tank - so i sat there for a second wondering what to do...do i pass it? turn around? hold up a white flag? ...and then the turret slowly spun around pointing towards me. boy i set one heck of a pace outta there! I bet some Natl Guard guys were laughing their :moon: off!

Top Bottom