Saturday2112

Jun 27, 2007
So Im pretty much brand new to the sport. Im 5'11'' 180lbs and have very little bike experience but Ive been freeride and downhill mountian biking for a long while and can handle a bike well. Anyway, a good friend of mine is offering me his '96 KX250 with reworked suspension and some other stuff and all the gear for $800. I know its a powerful bike and would be hard to learn on, but impossible? Any advice?

Thanks guys
Jim

Saturday2112

Jun 27, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'11'' 180lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Pretty aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Woods trails
4) Do you have any riding experience?
not really
5) Do you think you will race ?
nope
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Some
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California? New York
11) Your age? 17
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
take your time- learn in a open field-
get use to the bike- even full power-,before hitting the trails
becarefull of the rear wheel slipping- this goes with learning the bikes power/power band-
start,and stop a lot it will help you out
learn to apply the brakes propperly- front are most of the stopping power
- but dont Grab a hand full of brake-
learn how to start on a hill-/ turn the bike around ,and head back down ect....

have fun

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
It sounds like a terrific deal! The bike is worth about twice that so I don't see how you could go wrong. If "all the gear" includes a helmet and other riding gear then the deal is fantastic, especially if the gear fits.

Just for reference, here is the gear that you should have

Helmet: $130
Boots: > $100
gloves: ~ $20
goggles: ~ $20

optional, but highly recommended:
Chest protector: $50
Knee pads $20
elbow pads $20
riding pants: $ 50 and up (and up, and....)
Jersey: $ $20 and up

So, if you got a running bike, helmet, goggles and boots for $800 you just can't go wrong!

As for the suitability of the bike: You are plenty big enough for a full size bike. The 250 will have enough power to get you into trouble so just learn to NOT twist the throttle all the way and especially learn how to "untwist" the throttle when you have been thrown back on the seat. Once you learn that you can tame the bike. Based on your age and prior extreme sport experience I would expect you to not have any trouble at all.

The only trouble I would expect you to have is perhaps on the first ride or two. Two strokes do not like to "put". If you are riding a bit timid and not allowing the engine to work hard it is common to foul the plug. Once you get to the point where you are routinely getting it "on the pipe" and letting the engine get up to full temperature you won't have any more problems.

Rod

Saturday2112

Jun 27, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
It sounds like a terrific deal! The bike is worth about twice that so I don't see how you could go wrong. If "all the gear" includes a helmet and other riding gear then the deal is fantastic, especially if the gear fits.

Just for reference, here is the gear that you should have

Helmet: $130
Boots: > $100
gloves: ~ $20
goggles: ~ $20

optional, but highly recommended:
Chest protector: $50
Knee pads $20
elbow pads $20
riding pants: $ 50 and up (and up, and....)
Jersey: $ $20 and up

So, if you got a running bike, helmet, goggles and boots for $800 you just can't go wrong!

As for the suitability of the bike: You are plenty big enough for a full size bike. The 250 will have enough power to get you into trouble so just learn to NOT twist the throttle all the way and especially learn how to "untwist" the throttle when you have been thrown back on the seat. Once you learn that you can tame the bike. Based on your age and prior extreme sport experience I would expect you to not have any trouble at all.

The only trouble I would expect you to have is perhaps on the first ride or two. Two strokes do not like to "put". If you are riding a bit timid and not allowing the engine to work hard it is common to foul the plug. Once you get to the point where you are routinely getting it "on the pipe" and letting the engine get up to full temperature you won't have any more problems.

Rod
Hey man thanks for the advice. It does come with a helmet and boots and elbow pads and I already have my dads old chest protector, fox launch knee/shin guards that are for moto as well as my biking and gloves and goggles so it sounds like im all set. Im going tomorrow and starting off on an xr100 which we ride around as a toy just to get used to it, then im going up to his 4stroke xr250 and KTM 125 so hopefully Ill learn quick.

Thanks again guys,
Jim

May 10, 2007
yea i would think that it would fine to learn on. my friend has a 97 kx250 with lots of mods and its a great bike

250's are good to learn on too because they have power all around unlike the 125's which only have top end power

Saturday2112

Jun 27, 2007
hey guys i got it, and this thing is fast!
well i was going to put the photo in, but when i use the image insertion thing spamkiller comes up and says its a link and it needs to be removed?

Top Bottom