Any easy ways to setup suspension??

lit549

Jan 11, 2010
OK,Ive road for long time, but Ive never worried about how the bike was setup.Now I want to setup my bike to my size.Right now it hits pretty hard when I land.How do I go about setting it up?Ive looked on youtube and Seen some stuff,but i think Im more confused now.Im 6' around 165.Im beginner basically,but I am jumping higher and faster,but this thing landing so hard is making me wanna wipeout,it hits too hard,any suggestions?its a 2000 kx 250(stock suspension)

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Get a shop manual and start changing the fluids per the maintenance schedules. It will require a few cheap tools for the caps and an accurate fluid measure device. Read it and ask if needed. Your weight sounds about right for a KX250 stock. You will need to find out whats in it now, spring weights and any valving. Its a 00, it may require some new parts. Is sending it to a professional the first time out of the question. Jeremy at MXTech is one of the best persons of the decade, imo. Vintage Bob

lit549

Jan 11, 2010
Ya Id love to send it too someone that knows.My hotrod keeps me busy trying and tuning,lol.I just want to get on this thing and ride.I rode over40 laps(3.5miles pr lap),This weekend;in a GP.Overall its ok,but Ive rode better(suspension wise)I think I could ride faster and jump further if it would be a little less harsh on the landings.I mean I took a double after tight turn and I landed so hard my hand came off the throttle completely,wich in turn made me almost wreck!How do I go about getting Jeremy to work on it? Is he expensive?Where is he located?Thanks!!

fordmugg

Jan 30, 2010
if money is a issue i would do it yourself. i would start with new springs front and back, being the bike is a 2000 im sure they springs are sagging a little. so fresh them up with some new ones with new fork oil and go from there if after that you still think it need to be re valved then take it in. this is all my opinion on it

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Dirt bike springs sag? Since the late 60's maybe? If in doubt, measure them. With oil changes due every 3~4 races, that would figure about at least 4 hours of run time. How do you think the all them parts are doing? When they get bad enough to clunk, you can be looking at a couple hundred in parts, or somebody is going to get hurt. The shock is even more neglected, and gets hotter. Vintage Bob

lit549

Jan 11, 2010
well I had race sag of 3 1/2 inches and static sag was at 1 3/4.I adjust preload and now I have 4in race sag and 1 1/2in static sag.Next Im gonna play with sag and adjustments on forks,does anyone know what brand forks came on 2000 kx 250??

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
The easy way? Throw $ pizza & beer at a pro, to do it for you.....
Happy now vintage bob?

Last edited:
Top Bottom