bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i want to get my wife an MP3 player for xmas since she is a bit of a raver bless her, and it will get her motivated to get onto the computer a bit more.

any ideas on a good buy? i am looking to spend around $100-150 i expect i can get something half decent for that- and i expect that will last 2-4 hours of music.

so questions- are some brands better than others?
are some brands/software more user friendly?
are they easy/cheap to upgrade the memory?

and does this one look any good???

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806328372&skuId=5446975&type=product&cmp=

or should i just not bother and get some sleazy underware instead, since we all know thats what most women want for christmas, right??? :eek:

thanks everyone! :worship:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Bruce we bought LazyBoy the Rca Lyra 128 Meg Player, REVIEW FOUND HERE . No complaints so far other than I would prefer being able to drag and drop files in windows explorer rather than having to use the bundled software to transfer files. 128 Megs of internal storage and the add on memory cards are reasonably priced to expand your storage space.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I have that exact MP3 player, the IRiver 128MB. I like it alot. You can go to the iRiver website and download updates and other features for the player. The program that comes with it is pretty straight forward, click and drag files kinda thing. It also has a AM/FM radio in it and a Mic for recording voice. You can also record radio on it. The radio part is nice if you go to the gym and they have the TVs sound playing on the radio.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I just ordered the Dell Jukebox with 15gb of space. It was $200 after the $50 instant rebate on dell.com

I'll try and give a review later but from what I saw it has everything I want.

Ivan

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
thanks guys and gals!:) it looks like the 256mg version of the iriver that i put up gets a really good review as does the 128.

so the 128 is around $140 and the 256 is around $200

will the 128 cut the cheese and not be too hard to upgrade later, or should i just cut to the chase and go with the 256?????

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
It's a little out of the price range you want, but I'd vote for the iPod also. Awesome capacity (I have 8 _days_ of music on mine, and it is not even half full), great UI on both the device and the software(iTunes rocks!), and it now works with Macs or Windows.

I wouldn't count on being able to upgrade any consumer electronics device, unless the manufacturer explicitly states that as a feature.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
i'd get the lesser expensive one for now - see if she likes it and uses it.  If she does then you can upgrade for her B-day or something.

Oh yeah - make sure you put the MP3 player in a sleazy underwear box when you give it to her.  She'll thank you for it.  ;)

Top Bottom