Any go fast secrets for the pw 50?

stu182

~SPONSOR~
Dec 11, 1999
Just wondering what everyones tricks are for hopping up the pw 50.Other than gearing. I've heard things about the start/run switch and shaving some off the motor? Anyone know any stuff?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
just go through it and take off stuff you dont really need, a few pounds can really make a difference. Dont know about the specific bike but look for ways too uncork it, airbox, tailpipe etc. its the bottle necks that ya need to get rid of

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Not much to take off a bike the size of a microwave that is going to make much difference.

Depending how serious you are there are mods such as replacing the pipe (Cobra made one for a while) which doesn't really add much juice to milling the head and adding base gaskets or a spacer to the base of the cylinder to move the ports up to expose more of the port opening that adds a bit of snap. On the high end you could find the scooter that uses the same engine base with a larger displacement and swap out the piston and cylinder for a real sleeper. Gearing is more difficult because it's closed shaft drive but there again there is a Yamaha scooter or ATV that can retro fit. The problem will be that the suspension and frame are not going to handle serious use. The forsks are very basic and the shocks are just spring holders. Heck the lower bearing race on the frame head cracks with aggresive 4 year olds. I sure somebody will say pull the silencer core but all that's going to do is make it annoyingly loud. Opening the air box will just get the air filter dirtier because the carb bore is about as big as your thumb. Yamaha has been making this bike for like 20 years so it's pretty much as good as it's going to get. If you want to race get one of the minis setup for racing. The PW50 is a great learning tool for little folks just not much more.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Change The GEARING!!! You can use the rear gear from a yam QT50. It changes the stock gearing from 4.9:1 to 5.7:1 This is AMA legal. These bikes are still raced AMA at Loretta Lynns. They have their own class. Some of the illegal mods include taking a YT60 piston and doing and offset bore of .160 over to get it to fit. Add a 2mm spacer to the bottom of the cylinder and then shave 2mm off of the top and you will have a sceamer. dynoport makes aftermarket clutch springs that make the clutch not hit until about 3k rpm. You can buy support kits to weld on the fram to beef it up. This is also ama legal. You will never have a Cobra beater but you can really wake these things up. The very best bang for your buck will be the QT50 gearing. Super Huge increase. We did that change alone and let my kid race the open 50 class against the Cobra's, Ktm's and Polini's. He took a 5th out of 12 and no one would believe it was still stock sans gearing. PM me if you want more info.
Jason

Spacecowboy24

May 29, 2016
Change The GEARING!!! You can use the rear gear from a yam QT50. It changes the stock gearing from 4.9:1 to 5.7:1 This is AMA legal. These bikes are still raced AMA at Loretta Lynns. They have their own class. Some of the illegal mods include taking a YT60 piston and doing and offset bore of .160 over to get it to fit. Add a 2mm spacer to the bottom of the cylinder and then shave 2mm off of the top and you will have a sceamer. dynoport makes aftermarket clutch springs that make the clutch not hit until about 3k rpm. You can buy support kits to weld on the fram to beef it up. This is also ama legal. You will never have a Cobra beater but you can really wake these things up. The very best bang for your buck will be the QT50 gearing. Super Huge increase. We did that change alone and let my kid race the open 50 class against the Cobra's, Ktm's and Polini's. He took a 5th out of 12 and no one would believe it was still stock sans gearing. PM me if you want more info.
Jason
I have a pw50 bored 1st over what size main and pilot jet would u recommend

Top Bottom