Any info on US 51.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Does anyone have any new info. on this track. Is it done for ever or sold or reopening?

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
THE WORD GOIN ROUND IS DONE FOREVER.HEARD LOTS ARE UP 4 SALE TO BUILD HOUSES THERE.ANOTHER PLACE LOST TO A SUBDIVISION.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I heard the same, guess it was leveled this summer (unconfirmed). Its a total shame and wish that it could have been known ahead of time. It will and is a very missed race facility that we use to have in the center of the district and will be very VERY hard to replace.
I know for one If I would have thought for a second that this was the path of this facility that things may or could have been done to change this out come. That club there was about 30 years old when it was taken over and run out.

it really does suck

wardy

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
Hey wardy,how are ya?Do you race/ride anymore?Every time I see your name on this site I cant help but picture you pullin' that 490 maico with that suzuki gs 850,1000? up at byron back in the "day".Well "my"day" at least,you been around much longer then me!Any way I just wanted to acknowledge you and say I had a blast up at wedron on fathers day!I'm stoked because I passed rusty that day late in the race!I'm pretty sure thats a first.Look forward to next season!!!

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
That does suck about Wapella. Wardy is right, that land and original club has been around a very long time. I raced scrambles there way back in 1980 and ’81 on the original scrambles track that was there before they built the moto track. Then, to really date the place, my dad raced scrambles there back in the late 60s and early 70s, so the club and track definitely had some history. Central Illinois used to have a ton of tracks, both moto and scrambles, and just about all of them have vanished.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep... after losing Wapella, Hoopeston, Ottawa, and pretty much Espy as well, D-17 MX has been split into the North (all North West really) and the South (all South East really). :think: It's sad, we live in Illinois and out of state tracks like Red Bud (MI - 70 mi), Medaryville (IN - 60 mi), the Reads tracks (IN - 90-100 mi), N. Webster (IN - 110 mi), Dutch (MI - 125 mi), and Lake Geneva (WI - 120 mi.) are closer to us than any D-17 MX track (closest D-17 to us = Walnut and Byron at 130 miles). Too bad D-15 isn't as organized and together as D-17 or else we would be better off in D-15.

North - Byron, Walnut, Mt. Carroll, Coal Valley, Galesburg (well Galesburg is kinda central-ish but way west)
South - Casey, Mason, Taylorville, Cayuga, the new 2004 track

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I get about 3-5 races in a year now, next year who knows! I got a good bike, (A/F 500 Service Honda) its like new at two years old. In fact I am looking to get another 490, but the trailer and road bike isn't desired! I remember way to many trips home, tired, raining, windy, and ...........well must be getting soft in my old age.

Nikki, I spose I can't say mendota is closer to you until i have a womens' class huh? WHo knows you may have a closer mx track some day :)

wardy

PS Nikki, if you know how to get ahold of family time (hoopeston) they said they were going to race this season, but I can't get ahold of them.

97 moto

Sep 11, 2000
Yes, the Jumps are all gone now. Everything has been bulldozed down. The sad thing is the owners youngest son is getting back into racing and has to drive to a track to ride.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…