nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I bought a 98 CR80 for my girlfriend because of its size, weight, height and its easy for here to kick. She's been riding it for 2 years now.

She is able to ride it just fine does really good on it. But I think her riding style would fit a 4-stroke more. I go through spark plugs regularly, she tends to putt. Until she gets stuck and gets pissed and floors it. Watching the bike shoot out from between her legs as she tries to hang onto the fender was priceless.

So I have been looking for a CRF150R but I am concerned with the weight and the ability for her to kick start it. I've seen the 150f but I'm not to interested in that one because every once in a while we like to go ride in the sand. I'm a little concerned the 150F would over heat. She also doesn't want a "weenie" bike.

She is 5'2". Who better to ask then the women who ride these bikes. Thanks.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Since she's 5'2", and has spent a few years on a CR80, I think the CRF150R would be perfect for her. I rode one this past weekend (well it was a CRF150R frame with a CRF250R motor.... Service Honda's JR creation, sweet bike), but yeah, the bike was a lot of fun! It wasn't too heavy, I think it's only maybe 20 lbs. more than the CR80. And starting shouln't be too big of a deal, the new four-strokes aren't that hard to start, as long as the valves are in proper adjustment. But the four-stroke motor is much smoother than the on/off 80cc 2-stroke, which makes it easier to ride and lug around. I'd consider one for sure. I race MX, and 250F's, but if I raced hare scrambles or rode a lot of woods, the CRF150R (or Service Honda's JR) would probably be my bike choice, the expert model (2" bigger tires, I'm 5'5"). Nothing weenie about the CRF150R.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
Thanks for the review nikki.

We went to go look at one at the dealer yesterday but they still had it in a crate. Hopefully I'll be able to get her to try one out today.

Any other ladies ride this bike?

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I got one in Feb but blew out my knee the next day. Haven't had much time on the bike but I CAN tell you it needs to be ridden like a 2 stroke. It has a ton of power down low and is very touchy, much like a two stroke. Very easy to wheelie! (Not good) We planned on me riding this in the trails as well as racing MX. I am coming off a 250X which was too tall and heavy for me in the woods. I'm 5'3". To be able to ride in the woods, we will have to get a flywheel weight. This IS NOT a bike to putt around on. It gets hot fast. I borrowed a 150f last fall to ride in the woods and it was great. A little heavy, but very controlable and it didn't mind going slow. Better have her ride it before you buy it. My 250x is much more tame than the 150. If I could afford the 250x Jr, I'd have gotten that in a heart beat.... :debil:

Apr 30, 2007
If it helps at all, I'm 5'2" and still ride a 98 CR 80...

Even in gravel pits and trails it's been a great bike.

I plan on test riding a CRF 150 as soon as possible, but have to stick with the CR until my cash situation changes (prolly not for 6 more years but hey, I can wish can't I?).

I too have heard that the 150 overheats rather easily, not sure what the outcome or solution is on that...

If you weren't trying to upgrade the bike and were trying to make it more woodsworthy, you could try adding a tooth or two to the rear sprocket (I'm assuming you probably already know this, but had to throw it in).

Whatever she chooses as long as she's happy riding should be great :)

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I appreciate the tips.

The over heating does concern me. She has over heated her CR80 in the sand before.

Ya I've done as much as I could with the cr80 flywheel weight and all. And she does really good on the CR and when she gets determined to go somewhere she will get there. Even if i am scratching my head at the method she choses. I am actually impressed at some of the trails she is able to ride. Things are so much easier with bigger wheels. The bikes weight, eazyness to kick, and height are a perfect match for her.

Watching her riding style I think she would do so much better on the 4-stroke. She sometimes gets frustrated when she stalls the CR. Her riding enjoyment is what I am hoping the 4-stroke improves. I wish we had the possibilty to try these bikes out before we buy. She likes the idea of getting a new bike but doesn't want to give up her CR.

So I may just end up buying her another bike so she can keep her CR80.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
So we were able to get her on a CRF150R this weekend at the dealership and she liked it. The bike wasn't much heavier then her CR80. It was a little harder to kick but managable. She didn't get to ride it around though.

The bike has two radiators vs 1 on the CR80 so I am kinda surprised at the statements of overheating. I will need to look into this some more. Thanks again for all the great comments.

tonibaloney

I'm here
Sep 19, 2006
i myself have been seriously thinking about the 150R. i sat on the expert yesterday and it felt perfect!!! i ride a klx300 right now, great bike, but too heavy for me. hard to handle in tighter spots, i'd like a lighter more flickable bike.

the jr would be an ideal bike... but not with that price tag :( :(

Apr 30, 2007
Hm, not too terribly sure on this one...I wouldn't have done well if my cr80 was my first bike (still a little tall for me)...I haven't ridden a 150, but I believe that their power is a little more versatile...and more "new user" friendly...

Top Bottom