any of you use "helmet radio's"?

helibuf

Sep 29, 2002
hi
i was looking at these helmet style radio's and radio mic / ear pieces that you can insert into your helmets. i thought it would be good to use. i'm always looking back to keep track of the wife on rides. i was looking at these "platinum 900" and the "motocomm" inserts. do any of you have any experience with these or other products you could share some opinions on.

thanks
doug

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
My brother in law has some kind of intercom system that he uses with a friend of his on the street and they tried it with dirt bikes and said it didn't wor, but I don't know what problems he was having.

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
I use radios when I ride with my wife and two boys. All it takes is a $20 FRS walkie talkie, a $15 computer headset and some creativity. You have to cut the headsets up to get them physically installed. Then, you have to splice a wire and a plug into the microphone lead. From there, you run an extension to a "push to talk" button on the handlebar (just an old kill switch button would work well). The voice activated mics won't work typically because the bikes are too loud.

This setup works really well. You can't always hear when you are riding fast, but when you slow down a bit, you can communicate just fine.

Jimbo

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
ok, I am gonna try your Idea, JIMBO, but if I buy the headset specifically for the walkietalkie, will this work? and how do you wire the talk button? This is the part I am gonna have trouble with, so could someone please help me?

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I put a street style mirror on mine to watch my son but a radio would be by far the best I think. A lot of people that are on this list ride with their buds and don't require such items but it sounds like a great idea. let us know what you end up doing.
tom

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Just keep in mind that the "voice activated" mic's aren't the way to go here.  We use them sometimes in the military and I've found that either there's too much noise and they cut out, you can't talk to someone else face to face without everyone hearing it over the system, or background noise (bikes or weapons in our case) will open the mic up.  Go with the good old "push to talk" system. JMHO, good luck and let us know how it works out!

JimE

Jun 12, 2002
We use the Motorola radios and Motorola headset.
Don't waste your $$ on voice activated radios, they don't work.
We cut up the headsets and velcro the parts into the helmets.
We ziptie the radios to the helmets & just reach up to talk.
We also ride with some people that use "chatterboxes" but the motorola's work better.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I have a helmet intercom installed in my street helmet as do my riding buddies. Very helpful on the street and I guess they'd work great on the trail as well. I can get over a one-mile range. The unit, an EBC, also has an adjustable squelch so you can adjsut for any riding condition. I got mine about 5 years ago for about $175. I would think that better units are now available for even less money.

Gary

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Which motorola?

We used TA200s. Worked pretty good until one of 'em when through the wash. Motorola wouldn't fix it (gee...really?). I took it apart, cleaned some corrosion off it and it works...but not too good.

My riding buddy got some Motorola T7200 (GMRS). I'm looking to get something to replace the TA200s. Maybe some 280s? They aren't GMRS, but even the 3-watters don't give you much range in the woods.

We tried the 'earbud' idea with the talkabouts. Never could keep the ear thingys in.

When I finally decide on which radio to 'upgrade' to...I'll cut'n-patch a mic/speaker into our helmets.

Anyway...JimE...which radio you use???

helibuf

Sep 29, 2002
i just bought a set of motorola's t6400 w/ the recharge kit for $100 for a pair. got them from costco and motorola has a $25 /each rebate. (not sure if it applies to the combined pack but we'll see). i haven't yet decided how to do the helmets yet. if i mount the radio's to the bikes w/ ptt switch on it i would need a leash to the helmet. if i mount the radio's to me then i would have a leash to the ptt unless i could find a way to connect to an easy access place. i was thinking of a velcro wrap around the glove that i might be able to hit w/ the thumb. the thing i worry about if its tied between me and the bike i'd need some sort of "break away" so when i fell it would not pull wires. we'll have to work on the details though. i do like the thought of being able to hear the wife to know she's ok. nothing like the thought of the wife screaching in my helmet as i ride<G>bring on the asprin

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: bring on the asprin
Ha!! In my case it's ME doing the screaming, ....cuz MY wife don't never ANSWER. Well...that's on the odd time that she TAKES the radio...and the MORE odd time she has it ON when she TAKES it.

AAARRGGGHHHHHH!

...but she can still come back (from a place she said she wasn't going) from a lone ride (no radio) with her handlebars down around her knees, said knees being torn up, levers bent with her helmet looking like it was used for a skid plate....laughing.....

But as her fambly sez...'There's sumthin not right in her haid!'

***edit**
Based on YOUR recommendation, I just bought THREE motorola T6250s, the 6400 not being available (they said) anymore. But then I find that motorola has their rebate on the 6400 running through 12/31/02.

I think that motorola needs a few more model numbers to choose from.

Last edited:

spikes

Jul 12, 2002
I`ve never been bored enough to want a radio playing in my helmet while out bush bashin`.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I guess you're kidding? We're talkin' about FRS/GMRS two-way radios.

Being able to tell a kid which turns to take to get back to where he's supposed to be beats looking for him for the rest of the day 'cuz he's lost.

..but then, in this specific case, he didn't listen to what he was told and we ended up looking for him for the rest of the day, anyway.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
You must be kidding .... a kid not listening to what he was told? I have never heard of such a thing! ....Yea right...
helibuf, let me know what you come up with ...sounds neat..
as I have a kid that does not listen either. And if I can get you to do all the leg work.......................
All right DRN!!!!
Steve

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
My Uncle just bought a set for his boys for X-Mas, I saw them but can't remember the brand. I *think* they might be Panasonics. They are FRS radios with headsets (that will need to be adjusted to mount in a helmet) but the headsets included a PTT (Push-To-Talk) button on the head-set cord. I thought this was pretty cool. It looked like you could mount this so that the wire would be about where your breast pocket is or maybe on your arm.

Not easy to reach at speed, but I don't really want to be talking then anyway :)

I'll ask about them and take notes on the next ride.

-MD

jspano

Oct 18, 2002
Here's the gear I use with my 10 year old son.
Visit http://www.Motocom.com see model 551 Head set and mic with push to talk $50
Personal two way radios $39 (any model you you want)
We road with them all season and they work great! I wouldn't ride without them. They'll pay for themselves the first time you get separated from your kid

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
jspano, I clicked on the link, and the site is repair manuals. Is this the right place? I am interested in what you found. Later...

ebb267

Dec 24, 2002
I bought a set of HJC Chatterboxes years ago. Had great luck with them.

Last season, I purchased a new one to be compatible with the new ones some friends got. Great luck with this one as well. I use mine for street riding though I'm sure it would be just as good for the dirt. Batttery life is good and range is about 2 mi. I can't say enough good things about them. They add a whole new dimension.

Jerryv

Jun 1, 2002
Garmin has a unit called the Rino 110 that is a FRS/GMRS and also a GPS.
It sounds pretty cool for family riding because you can actually see where they are on the GPS when talking to them on the radio.

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
Hey guys... sorry I haven't posted here in a while.

I have a Chatterbox on my helmet. I would recommend that over the motocom deal. It is about the same price and it works very well.

However, the problem was that I was not ready to spend $120 each for my wife, and two sons. That's where the FRS radio deal comes in (by the way, chatterbox IS an FRS radio).

I bought CHEAP FRS radios from Wal Mart - $25 for a pair. The radios should have seperate jacks for headset and mic. Then, I bought CHEAP computer headsets from Wal Mart $15 a pair. And this is what I did:

First: physically mount the headset. I used a dremel tool and a pair of wire cutters to cut away the whole headset deal except the speakers and mic boom. Some imagination, sticky velcro and tie wraps got those mounted. There is a lot of stuffing involved with shoving the excess cord under the helmet cushions.

Next: mount the radio. Sticky velcro on the back of the radio and the back of the helmet. A couple of sticky plastic hooks on either side and rubber bands secure the radio to the back of the helmet. I wanted the radio to be attached to the helmet for convenience.

The speakers plug right into the headphone jack. A mono to stereo adapter had to be used for both speakers to work.

There are several methods used for externally keying the mic. Some key when the mic circuit is completed. Some use the third connector on the mic jack (I had both types of radios). A little experimenting will go a long way. As for the PTT button, just use any button that can be strapped to the handle bar (i.e. an old kill switch).

If anyone wants details on part numbers etc or pics, email me at JIMnJILL@mchsi.com. I'll help out however I can.

This radio setup works really well. However, it has limitations. You can't expect to talk on it while riding a MX bike at WOT. I really like mine and would hate to ride with the family without them.

Jimbo

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…