Any one use a hitch rack??? Moto-tote

triplephatmx

Jun 5, 2001
I own a product called the Moto Jack Rack. Same principle, however the Jack Rack uses a hyrdaulic jack to lift the bike once it's attached to the carrier. It is very slick and transports the bike securely. The platform that the bike sits on is about the size of a normal bike stand, so you don't have a big long rail that can be bulky to carry\store. Also, with this configuration, it doubles as a bike stand when in the down position. Very nice product, but it is $$$! Good luck!!

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
I made my own after using my friends a few times. They work very well and are alot more "secure" than they look :eek:

What I'd recomend is to put a 3rd tie down from foot peg to footpge and go under the carrier to "suck" the bike down. Also I made a ramp that hinges off the back it works well, it lays flat when no bike on board and leans agains the back tire to attach to the carrier with a 4th tiedown when bike is on board.

I hang mine from a bicycle hook in the garage so it dosnt take up too much space.

Also, what kind of truck are you going to put this on?? I have a 3/4 ton 2wd suburban and the tie down "arms" dragged alot :think I put 2" lift blocks and made tie down arms that angled up and solved that problem:cool:

:p HEY!!! does anyone use a two bike carrier????:p

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
Well I have a Jeep Cherokee with 4.5" of lift so draging it will not be an issue. My boss has one now and its on a new suburban but it looks high enought also. I have been thinking of making one it might be a hell of allot cheeper.:think

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
It was WAY cheaper for me :cool:

I also got rid of all side to side wobbling by making a "slip fitting" on the 2" reciver (think about a bicycle goseneck and you'll get the idea)

That link didnt work for me..... but I know what they look like.... I have seen them for sale for pretty cheap (like under $300). I was able to make mine at work with extra metal so I really made money while I made mine :p

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Flame me if you will . . .

But I built one to carry the kid's 4-wheeler when I'm hauling my bike or quad in the back of the rig. I don't know what the ol' YFM80 weighs, but I have no problem whatsoever with it. I have a shortbox pickup, and hauling it with my bike is a no-go in the box. Plus, the wife can haul it behind the Tahoe as well.

I have about $40 into it--lots cheaper than a trailer!

I plan on building a bike one so I can haul the big quad and my bike at the same time. Should be no problem. Very easy to build.

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
Only going to get FLAMED for the quad

I made a two bike carrier, for a CR500 and a XR100 and it was TOO huge and flexed WAY to much to be safe:silly: and stuck out to far...

I just think thats a LOT of weight centered at the 2" reciver.... mabey with 2 recivers??

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
Normaly the 2" is rated at 500lbs toung weight so you have to keep that in mind.

Any one have any pics of ones they made?

I would like to get some ideas.
I have a trailer but it cost so much more on the tolls and there are some road restrictions here in NY. The rack would be so much easier.

;)

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by triplephatmx
I own a product called the Moto Jack Rack. Same principle, however the Jack Rack uses a hyrdaulic jack to lift the bike once it's attached to the carrier.

When you load your bike onto the Jack Rack how low is the bike to the ground before you use the hydraulic jack to lift the bike?

Also, my friend has another brand of a hitch bike carrier & when I've followed him down a dirt road, his bike is going from side to side so bad that it just doesn't look safe to me--does yours wobble with a bike on it too?

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
I don't have a receiver type hitch on my F150 and have no immediate plans to install one. I was thinking about building a carrier that would have two supports from the truck's frame. Any ideas, plans, cautions?

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
The problem with the two support idea is, the rack would HAVE to be PERFECTLY square! Otherwise it will be very hard to put it in and pull it out.

The regular reciver hitch racks work with any 2" reciver so you could use it anywhere.

The racks I've made have absoluty NO wobble at all.... (I wish I had access to a dig camera) .... BUT it's pretty easy to get rid of the wobbles with tie downs or with modificatios from a welder/fabercator:silly:

Top Bottom