Any other news on the new Honda CRF230?

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Talked to my local dealer (Gary Roe, Hillsboro Honda) last night, and they've been told .... *this* September. Which is good, because they announced it *last* September. <grin>

What I know so far:
- basically the same frame/stuff as the current XR200
- disc brake up front (good!)/drum brake in rear (rats.)
- electric start (awesome!)/will add some more weight (rats.)
- will be a true 229cc (current XR motor is actually 195cc)
- looks like the same oingo-boinger suspenders (rats.)
- riding ergos should be a little better (good)
- engine is the version being made in Brazil and is reputed to be much tougher than current XR200 motor offerred in US. Why? Because they *know* it wouldn't get regular, complete service and designed it *tougher. Apparently some of the XR200 weaknesses have been fixed as well (shifter, kickstarter gears, etc.)

We are interested in this bike as:
a) plugging the CRF230 motor into Susan's BBR200 to gain electric start and displacement (ooooohh......)
b) to possibly buy and then upgrade the suspension (doing so would gain larger wheels - 21" up front, 17" in the back)

Still leaning towards keeping the BBR because it's the perfect size for Susan, incrdibly rugged (she *tests* it a lot....<g>), handles great, and is very light (currently it weighs 190lbs w/o gas).

For all ladies/guys looking at their next trail bike, starter bike, or a great starting point for a kick-butt "project bike" -- do keep an eye on this one!

Best yet... it's only ~ $100 more than the XR200! That, and the fact that it has BNG! (bold, new graphics....<g>)

Cheers! -- E-Ticket

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
The idea of the CRF230 appealed to me, until I saw that it was going to be more-or-less an electric start XR200. :( To me, Honda is really missing the ball on this one by putting in the same crappy suspension, but upgrading the motor. Hello! I'd rather have a milder motor in a nice suspension/chassis package than a faster motor in a crappy chassis. That's why the KDX/KX hybrids are so desirable. I'm convinced that suspension is more important than motor.

If you get to pick one up for Susan, be sure and give us a ride report on it before it gets dismantled for use in the BBR!

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I so TOTALLY agree! All the manufacturers are missing such a huge market. I've got a guy friend who is only 5'1" and he is totally frustrated. He loves to ride but his choices are so limited. I'm convinced that the manufacturers are still operating on 15 year-old marketing data... grrrr.

Yup, same dilemna. Susan's BBR is perfect (great motor, killer CR80-RB suspension/brakes, totally awesome BBR frame and handling) but still limited to the 19"/16" wheel combo.

Pegasus makes a good argument for the Pampera - but I swore off two-smokes a long time ago. With a four-stroke, it's just too easy to fill up at any gas station, no pre-mix, no fouled plugs, no smoke. Plus, it *does* make more sense ecologically.

But dang-it! Why can't the turkeys find the sweet-spot in the middle! Combine the full/size wheels, low seat-height, and layout of the Pampera, with a killer trail motor (the CRF230 would be perfect), and the great suspension/frame/handling we know is possible (due to BBR).

Sa-a-a-a-y....

HEY!! Hey, Duane at BBR!! ARE YOU LISTENING!!!???

I think you could sell a bunch.....! <really big grin>

Cheers! -- E-Ticket

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
BBR has the right idea-- decent motor, excellent chassis/suspension. Now, if they could just get the price point down to "middle class" instead of "independently wealthy"!

Why is it that the Japanese manufacturers equate small bike = play bike = 20 year old technology?? I don't get it.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Partially it's the same reason they haven't updated the XR400. If it's still selling strong... with no changes.... why goof around with a "cash cow."

All manufacturers fund the racing/new-bike developement with the longer-running production models. The longer you can sell anything - without doing any upgrades/development - the more money it will make you.

Also, on smaller/cheaper bikes... any price increase can bump it out of the "buy a starter bike/bike for the kids" arena.

They just don't understand that the first manufacturer to nail this category is going to sell a ton of 'em!

Until then? bummer, eh. - et

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by LoriKTM
... I'm convinced that suspension is more important than motor....

Totally agree; ya hit the nail smack on the head, Lori. I'm convinced that it's even more important than full sized tires too.

As much as I really hate to admit this... I've been able to ride more technical rocky stuff with that KX mega-suspension than I was ever able to ride previously. I know, I know it's a 2-smoke... but the SUSPENSION helps in SO MANY different situations.

COME ON, manufacturers... GET A CLUE!!!

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Here's the link to Honda's web site for the CRF230.

http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/mode..._number=CRF230F

Here's the link for all of Honda's 03 models.
http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/models/

Let's see... the weight (from XR200R) went from 223 to 238.
oof!! Shoot, my KTM 400 MXC only weighs 246...!

And seat height went gained .6" as well. Boy, that's not going to help the vertically-challenged much...

On the plus side, it now has full 21"/18" wheels! That's a biggie.

Okay. $3299 for the bike. And $1500 to fix the suspenders, ride height, and knock off 15 lbs. hmmmm.......

<grin> - E-Ticket

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
BBR has their hands full just making bolt ons for TTRs and XRs--new custom bikes aren't as good money makers for them as the CNC and welded goodies. So don't look for new bikes from them soon.

However, the mid size BBR 150 is their best seller in its various forms (frame kit, frame less engine, frame and engine less suspension, etc) than any other bike so those won't stop coming any time soon. In fact, sit on a BBR and sit on a new CRF 150 . . . the ergos will be about the same.

I also agree that suspension/ergonomics are key. The motor can always be upgraded or swapped out. However making even small tooling changes on the assembly line costs a bundle, which is why all the manufacturers spend that part of the budget on their mx bikes. More money in that segment of the market.

The TTR/CRF/DRZ/KLXs are a step in the right direction though--and with BBR, and maybe others someday, the suspension and chassis upgrades are available.

In the meantime, are two-strokes really that bad? I adapted, and like it better. Flywheel weights help a lot (don't have one on mine but have ridden RMs and YZs with them) and it doesn't take that long to get the hang of it.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22
... In the meantime, are two-strokes really that bad? I adapted, and like it better. Flywheel weights help a lot (don't have one on mine but have ridden RMs and YZs with them) and it doesn't take that long to get the hang of it.

I really have to agree with what FC22 is saying here. I was so turned off by the "concept" of two-stroke UNTIL I rode one and discovered that they are a total KICK. It's not something I'd want to start out on, but they are VERY VERY fun to ride once ya got the hang of it. And the flywheel weight DOES help with technical stuff. They are REALLY light weight (mine's 150 lbs) and REALLY easy to start after ya pick it back up.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by E-Ticket

Okay. $3299 for the bike. And $1500 to fix the suspenders, ride height, and knock off 15 lbs. hmmmm.......

<grin> - E-Ticket

And for just a few hundred $$ more, you can get a KDX200 ($3999). :think:
Which is lighter, and has better suspension and a great motor. Spend a few bucks and lower the seat height down to the XR level, and you're set.

Going to an 18" rear wheel was a good move on the CRF230. 17" tire selection is awful. The slight increase in seat height is acceptable for that. (And the height may not feel so tall if the bike is also a bit narrower to compensate).

kat

Aug 6, 2002
my two cents:) hey there, i am the petite female that recently purchased the bbr cr80 frame with xr200 engine...i looked at the stats on the crf230 it has the same problem, it's tall and heavy...i agree with the others...why spend the money only to have to modify...

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Originally posted by LoriKTM

And for just a few hundred $$ more, you can get a KDX200 ($3999). :think:
Which is lighter, and has better suspension and a great motor. Spend a few bucks and lower the seat height down to the XR level, and you're set.

Does anyone haver info on suspension lowering, cost,who does it, kits ect...
I had never thought of that for my better half.

Kevin

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Call any suspension shop for prices on lowering. They can do things like add spacers, use different springs, etc. One great way to take out an inch or so (On the KDX thick seat you can probably remove more) is to shave the seat foam--which is good because, unlike lowering the suspension, it doesn't affect ride/handling. Some people also talk about cutting a piece out of the subframe which a welding shop could give you prices on (remember if it's an aluminum subframe it will have to be re-heat treated!) but I've heard bad things about clearance problems if the suspension bottoms out. There are also lowering links or "dogbones" but I've heard they really make it handle weird and aren't a good idea. I haven't ridden anything with one myself so I don't know firsthand.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I 'used' to deal with 4str, and they are surely a blast to ride. But, I quickly learned in a racing situation they are not always the most ideal machine for the task. Some machines with some riders work out well, but I found that trying to bring a flooded thumper back to life in the middle of a Hare Scramble can cost 5-6 places, or better yet, all the people you passed in the past hour or so just caught and repassed you while you could only sit their and fume over a reluctent bike. Obviously I'm talking about kick start models, but electric start add's girth, too. Making the switch to 2str was in my case, the best move I've could have done. Actually, my 2str has cost less to run and has actually been way more reliable then my 4str ever was. Go figure. :yeehaw:

Top Bottom