fountain38

Jan 8, 2004
does anyone know of any places to ride in maui and and place to rent there? we are going on a trip this july and we are going to have to miss our colorado trip so i wondered if tou guys knew of anywhere? well thanks

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I just returned from there. There is a MX track on Mokelee Highway going from the airport towards Keihi. It is about 5 miles away from the airport. Then there is Haleakala Stables rents ATV's and conducts tours of the volcano via Quads. It is called something like "Pony Express Tours" or something like that.
Other fun things to do:
Go to La Perouse Bay for snorkeling. It is south of Makena. Go to the wooden sign, park along the road turnout, and hike in over the lava flow about half way out. Look towards your left, and find a cove. The water here is well sheilded from surge and about 4 to 6 feet deep. I swear it feels like swimming in an aquarium, there are so many fish here.
Drive the Hana highway and continue to take the road past Hana all the way around. Ignore the rental car companys claims that you aren't supposed to. The road is in good shape and graded regularly. I used a Ford Escape but I saw several Dodge Neons on the road, so you know it isn't bad. With the 4WD I had though, I could take some of the trails down to the surf line and do a little fishing. When you get back to civilization, there is a winery worth visiting the tasting room.
Go fishing. No fishing license required in Hawaii Islands. I picked up a large spincaster at WalMart for 25 bucks and a box of frozen squid at Safeway for 4 dollars. I had the time of my life catching all sorts of fish. I also took a gamefish charter out and ended up getting some tuna and mahi mahi.
Take in a Luau. The best in the Old Lahina Luau but book early and expect to pay as much as $80 per person. Everyone has to do this at least once. The Hilton Luau has the best food though.
Go Parasailing. It is a great experiance to float quietly over the ocean and see the view.
Take a helicopter trip. About $125 per person, but on an A-Star, it is a great way to see places that would take days to hike into.
Take a sailing catameran trip out to Molikini Crater for more snorkeling.
Take a surf lesson in Keihi
Rent ocean kayaks in Keihi
Take a drive out to the blow hole
Golf, Golf, Golf.....Good God there are about a million courses here and all are beautiful but for a different experiance, go to Pukalani, located about 1200ft elevation on the volcano and look out over the sugarcane fields, pineapple fields, airport, ocean as you work your way around the course. Breakfast is good in the clubhouse.
Take in a sunset on top of Haleakala. Most people go for the sunrise and it is crowded and cold. At sunset, you will have the place to yourself and it is just as awe inspireing.
Take a hike in the crater. An easy trail is called sliding sand / slipping sand, something like that. About an hour hike in and 2 hours out.

And finally, go to Surfing Goat Dairy. I'm not saying anything more about this place but the kids will love it.

Last: get the book: Maui Revealed. The locals hate it so much that there is at least one letter to the editor every week in the paper trying to get that book banned. It will tell you all the secret spots, resturaunt reviews, etc. It is also very funny to read the author's experiances as he tells his stories.

Last edited:

tservis

Apr 15, 2007
Place to rent and ride on Maui

fountain38 said:
does anyone know of any places to ride in maui and and place to rent there? we are going on a trip this july and we are going to have to miss our colorado trip so i wondered if tou guys knew of anywhere? well thanks
Just go to mauimotorcrossrentals they will hook you up I go twice a year and these guys are awsome,
Have fun

Top Bottom