teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Hello

I'm with Team Grizzly off road motorcycle club. I'm just curious as to how many PNWMA riders are on this site. I'm also curious about the amount of non-competition riders from BC.

As a representative on the PNWMA, I hear the club's opinions on the off-road series all the time. I would like to know what the regular rider thinks? Feel free to post here or email me at teamgrizzly@hotmail.com

Mike Fodor

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I am a member of the PNWMA and raced in the Ogopogo XC this year. I like how they mail out upcoming events and current points standings. I am not very competitive, but I like to see how some guys I know and some famous names are doing in the points. :)

colem

Mod Ban
Sep 29, 2002
I rode in the Ogopogo XC this year with fatty_k as well. I plan on doing it again next year and maybe a few others that are close to Kelowna.

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Racing near Kelowna. The Vernon events are good too. If you really want to have fun, you gotta try the Night Rooster. Racing around the woods in the dark is a hoot. Too bad it isn't a points event anymore.
Actually I don't think there's a bad race in the entire series. Worth the road trip.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I didn't make it to any events this year, I mostly stick to MX but I was planning on doing some XC's too. I guess it will have to wait until next year..

Cam
from Agassiz

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'm a PNWMA rider, rode the Ogopogo XC this year, Junior under class. I just wish that they would have a race in the kootenays and maybe have something a little easier for beginners, some of those courses are too tough for beginners. The Ogopogo was a good course, but seeing pics and hearing reports about the others, they seem too difficult. I hope to race a few more events next year, but travel is really difficult, the nearest PN race is 4 hours away.

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
I'd take all comments about the difficulty of a course with a grain of salt. (Heck sometimes you should use a whole shaker.) Comments are based on a rider's opinions which in turn are based on a rider's skill, his/her bike, and setup. Also guys will exagerate just to make their bragging seem more impressive.
I was chatting with a few riders before a race in Hope. One rider complained about a great big, God-awful, bike swallowing mud pit. I then rode the race at 3/4 speed conserving myself for this mud pit from hell. Well I never found it. I was racing a KDX and they shine in crappy conditions, I rode through this mud pit without a problem.
Also another one of the Team member's boycotts any race at Herrling Island. The reason is this expert level rider got stuck in some nasty mud section. The part I find funny was that the Team's junior passed the expert since I usually aim for the side of mud pits where the mud isn't that deep. That's why I like Herrling Island races.
If off-road racing was easy, then it would be mistaken for motocross. :) You should go out and practice. You'll get better and the riding will get easier. Anyway it can't be that difficult, one of my previous vehicles was a wheelchair, and I'm racing my Suzuki DRZ.

So give it a shot and I hope to see you at the races.

Mike

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
What about the poster for the Vedder race in Chilliwack? The poster read "very challenging course, new tires recommended" if I remember correctly. That sure makes me not want to got. But I guess it all depends on who rode to course to make that poster. If it is hard, they shouldn't tell you, so you show up and find it is hard and you HAVE to ride it because you drove 4 hours to get there. :confused:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
C'mon guys just suck it up and ride. Racing is not supposed to be easy. Figure out what you suck at and go practice it until you get better. :confused:

I remember seeing this guy at the enduros in Illinois who rode with only one leg. No matter how tough an enduro was supposed to be he was there ready to ride. ;)

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
The Corkscrew at Vedder was the first time a race was run up there. The course organizers just wanted to fair to riders. Anyway you should have a new tire at EVERY race, because EVERY course is challenging. I'd follow Woodsrider's advice; "Suck it up and go riding."
When I first started, everything was tough, now with some practice, things started getting easier.

(And at Vedder, my friend's daughter finished the course. Not bad for a 13 year old girl on a KX100)

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Yeah, I was just happy to finish the Ogopogo, next time I'm aiming for a top 5 finish now that I know what to expect. I hope to race enough races to get up there in the championship, I'd be ecstatic with a top 10 in the final points.

colem

Mod Ban
Sep 29, 2002
teamgrizzly,

Are there any enduro events around the area that wouldnt be too tough for a beginner? I finished the Ogopogo XC no problem if that helps at all.

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Well if you can finish the Ogopogo, then you're doing OK. If you want easy, there is a motocross track at Agassiz :D

(CAUTION: Mike's rant! CAUTION) Why does every rider ask for an easy course? I never asked for one. Learn how to ride. The Masters ride everything with ease because they got the skills. Get the skills and get into shape. Heck I know 13 year old girls that race the trails. (includng that "tough one" up at Vedder.) I've knew one girl who complained voiceiferously when her transmission broke at one race. She insisted that she could ride the course in 2nd so that she could collect the points.

If you want easy, the Ministry of Forests puts out a forest service road map, you can go ride those. Or you can go out and help your local club clean the trails so you can personally remove those hard spots. We've left tough stuff in the race because we don't have time to work on them. In one day up at Chipmunk we had ten riders pass our work group, say "Thanks" then leave with out helping us. Most clubs cutting trails, just cut it so it's passable and let riders rip through it and open it up. What else can you do when you only have 3-4 guys cutting trail?

If anyone else complains about the difficulty of the course, I will hunt you down and make you ride the long course at the Piston Run. Say hi to a 2km muddy uphill and rock strewn 2km downhill and if your lucky some snow up top.
Darn kids these days.

(Rant alert is now ended. :D)
Mike

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Nice rant dude!

colem

Mod Ban
Sep 29, 2002
I didnt ask for an easy event I asked if there were any enduros that werent insanely hard. I've rode some of the trails that were part of the deep creek enduro and some of them are pretty rough and some are pretty easy.

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Deep Creek? I've never heard of it and it isn't part of the PNWMA calendar. We really don't have enduros up here in Canada since it takes a lot of manpower to run, something a lot of the clubs don't have.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
teamgrizzly, I can see your point about courses and that they should be difficult, but, I disagree with you. There should be races that a beginner rider can go on without crashing twenty times and getting hurt, and actually finish. My dad would love to enter a race, but he isn't in the best of shape, and his bike isn't meant for tough trails. Also, he is our only income, so if he gets hurt, were screwed. There should be races where the courses are easier and the level of racing more relaxed, so the older, working people can race but not have to worry about being taken out.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I have only been riding for a couple years, and while I can ride most terrain out there, I dont enjoy racing racing a very difficult course. Isn't racing supposed to be fun?? I can see how the more experianced riders, that actually ride for points and the championship can appreciate a tough course. I somewhat agree with your rant.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Racing isn't for everyone. It's definitely more risky than sitting at home playing X-box. Maybe you need to check out some off-road poker runs or turkey runs, aka dual-sport rides. Of course some of the worst injuries I've ever seen happened to friends of mine on nice easy dual-sport rides.

teamgrizzly

Nov 25, 1999
Is there a course where you can rider with out crashing twenty times and get hurt? OK this is where skill comes in. Wear armour, it's well worth every penny. I'm an ex-wheelchair pilot and I wear knee braces. I always wear armour and I have never had an injury at a race. At our race, the Piston Run, we've had two injuries in about five years. One was an expert clocking a tree with his head. The other was a broken ankle at the start when someone stepped on another rider's ankle. And we're known as one of the tougher races in the series. Also if you get hurt, consider that you may be riding over your skill level. If you can't keep it together then slow down. You should not be racing at the edge of control if you're beginning. You do not have to ride like that. You aren't expected to ride like that. Endurance matters just as much as speed. Also I don't think anyone has given you the simple advice when starting out; "Race for yourself" Ride at your speed. If people catch up and push you, pull over. You do not have to race them. You do not have to ride over your head. There is nothing in the rules that says it's illegal to stop for a break. Remember that you are only racing against riders in your class. You don't have to race everybody. The masters and experts are supercompetitive because they are the best in BC and want to earn that bragging right. You aren't. In the other classes there are about 3-5 riders in each class that compete the series aggressively. The rest just go out and see how fast they are. Enter a class that you are suited for.
The reason why riders crash is because they are pushing their limits. But if you don't push it, then your limits will never rise. Racing is fun for those who like a challenge and the thrill of competition. Racing is a chance for you to put your skills to the test and see how you stack up to the competiton. No bull****. Also racing is a test of mental strength. Can you keep going when you body begs you to stop? When you're begining, it will be hard. Motorcycle riding at speed will tax your body. If you want a fun little ride then go check out some poker runs. You should ask yourself why you are racing? Go play ride for a few years and get into shape and sharpen your riding skills.
I'm sorry that you don't find racing fun. It's because your new to this and you don't have the skills to ride quickly. It takes skill to ride fast, to know how the bike handles different conditions, to learn how to read lines and ride over obstacles, It takes practice, lots of practice. I'm in the same boat. This is my first year back racing and my new mount is a DRZ. I have to go learn to ride a bike that is a four stroke, with 60lbs on my KDX and about 15 more ponies. I will tell you at times that my bike is not fun to ride at places like Chipmunk. I could ride like the wind on my KDX, but not the DRZ. But I kept with it. I found that the DRZ hauls ass on more open sections and it's a good mount for the interior races. With a good setup and some practice, I will do well in ther series.
As for an easy course? Well easy is subjective term. To a Master, easy is a vertical cliff face with loose rock and mud. To a Junior, easy is a logging road. How do I as a race organizer build an easy course. Riders will complain that a course is too short and too easy just as much as too hard and too long. I know plenty of riders that will come out to a challenging race just for the sake of beating it. My favorite race was the 1996 Gritty Ginch at McNutt, which involved a truly muddy course with a nice hip-deep creek crossing. This is what good stories are made of. Like I said before a club with 3-4 guys cutting trail doesn't have the manpower to groom the trails nicely. Also the local conditions make trail cutting difficult. Chipmunk Creek is on the side of a mountain for crying out loud, we couldn't cut a level section if we tried. The whole area is strewn with rocks and trees. Every course I have ridden in the past have been passable. I have play ridden at Nicklemine, Herrling, Vedder, McNutt and Chipmunk. I have ridden all the trails up in these places sucessfully.

"Do not pray for a task that is suited to your strength, pray for strength that is suited to your task"

Mike / Team Grizzly

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Do not pray for a task that is suited to your strength, pray for strength that is suited to your task
:cool:

Top Bottom