Any Reason You Can't Rotate Directional Tires?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I have a set of Michelin S-12s, which are marked as directional.

Is there any reason why I can't rotate the tire backwards (mount tire with directional arrow pointing opposite way) to get more life out of it?

Thanks...

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
You can switch it around, but if you look closely at the tread pattern you will see that the knobs are positioned in an arc over the tire in a cupped fashion. If you turn the tire around it will be in the wrong direction. Poor traction is the result. I have switched my non-directional tires around for a fresh edge. This works for a couple of rides. I can't see buying a new tire for riding in the summer here in California. It is desert-like with alot of rocks. And dirt that resembles cement. Bad news for tires.
Darrin

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
The S-12 is the most popular rear tire at the track here and everybody flips them around. I've never heard of any side effects whatsoever.

Duane

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2002
The arcing of the knobs that darringer mentions is on the M12s, I don't think it's on the S12. The reason for the directional arrow is because of the bias belt and how it overlaps. A very very small chance of seperation where the belt overlap if you run the tire opposite of the arrow. Has any one out there ever seen tire damage because of this?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The arcing/cupping of the knobs on the S12s are symmetrical front to back. I'll probably swap it mid-summer unless I hear of a good reason not to.

Or at $65 for a new one, may just get some fresh rubber and save the old one to stud.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I turned the rear MS-11 (S-12 precursor, same thing?) on my KDX around and raced it that way. It wasn't until later I found the directional arrow pointing in the wrong direction. Never noticed anything different.

Don't take a chance if you are desert racing or doing high-speed riding, due to what Duane said about the belts. The tire will probably overheat and disintegrate.

Duane

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2002
I'm no expert, never seen or heard of one coming apart. High speed desert or higher speeds on the road would be the concern if where me.

vwwww

Aug 21, 2001
I'm not a tire expert but 4/5 /6 ?years ago S. Crevier a roadracer for factory Kawasaki noticed his front tire was on backwards at Daytona, without time to change he ran it like that with no problems. Roadracers use alot of front brake. lol. So if it was my tire, I wouldn't worry about it.

Top Bottom