duke

Oct 9, 1999
I was wondering if there any 50 plus folk out there racing MX on a 125? Despite their obvious shortcomings against other bikes, I have seen a few "aged" riders at Glen Helens REM venue earn respectable finishes on a 125.

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
My buddy just turned fifty. He races 450's in his age group, but also races vintage rm125. The beast was giving him some trouble this past weekend though. Went from 12/12 in moto 1 to 2 out of 12 after some rejetting. Needless to say he wasn't happy with the little girl after moto 1.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Am I to understand correctly that your friend races a vintage RM in modern events, or that he resorted to racing the RM that one time as a result of the 450's breakage?

sigurd

Jun 24, 2007
Duke- I'm sorry. King of gibberish here. My friend just entered the 50 class. He only races his 450r there. However, he also races some other events such as dual shock, vintage, etc. In vintage he raced the rm125. It isn't a regular thing depends on where they are headed and whether his boy is racing.

The RM gave him some trouble last time out although he'd worked on it during the week. Apparently he didn't take it out to the track after working on it, and found out the hard way it wasn't right.

So, the short answer is, no, he's not racing age group on a 125. I thought I read at least one or two adult members of this forum who do. One of those may be vintage only, however-.... My memory is a little hazy some days. OKay, since the accident most days. :nod:

Sorry for the confusion. :(

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Does 48 count,does a 250f count? Running against 450's is right up my alley,pretty insane! Got the holeshot at motoland! Well,one guy beat me,out of 12! I am not stoked about trying 125 b or c either,for the book,I have never raced c class! My hero races a frigg'in 500 in the age classes! The 250f is loads of fun,but it is no 450! A 125 can not beat a 250f,good luck against 450's!

duke

Oct 9, 1999
NM KDX200, I see that your "125" is a late model KX. How do you find the power, 125 wise? There is a local dealer who has a few of these still for sale.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
duke said:
NM KDX200, I see that your "125" is a late model KX. How do you find the power, 125 wise?
I had an '01 KX125 previous to this and sold it to a friend, so I still get to see it from time to time. Both bikes have similar mods (Vforce and pipes, otherwise stock). Compared to the '01, the '05 has much better low end and mid but signs off on top. The '01 is just a little more willing to rev but it has NOTHING below 1/2 throttle. The '05 feels a lot like an '04 KTM125sx that I rode recently except not quite as strong. Similar low-mid power, though. The '05 is easier to ride and pulls better out of corners.

Where the '05 gets all over the '01 is in handling. The '01 has PR2 suspension and the '05 is stock and even so, the '05 is much better. Everyone who's ridden them back to back comments on how much more forgiving the '05 is.

Overall, I think a late YZ125 would be a better bike, and I would probably be riding one except that, a) at 5' 6", Kawi's ergonomics just fit me a little better, and b) I got a good price on the '05 KX125. Since it's a play bike and something for me to remember what WOT is like (my other bike being a YZ450F), I don't mind the short comings of KX vs. a YZ.

Top Bottom