Any suggestions for a new rear tire for a 04 yz 250 ridden in the desert?

dnchevyman

Dec 27, 2005
I just picked up a 04 yz-250 and it will be needing a new rear tire in the future. I ride out in the desert here in Las Vegas, Nevada. the ground is rocky and a sand/clay mix. there is packed ground, but there are also plenty of spots that are lose sand, almost powder like.The rocks/gravel/sand take thier toll on tires. thanks for the help. also, i need to get a rim to mount a paddle tire on (never ridden in dunes so lookout!!!), any suggestions on a good/cheap rim?

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
I would go with the Dunlop 739's (stock tires). They are bullet proof and last a long time. I ride in deep sand all the time and as long as you are going fast, you won't have any problems. But for the hard pack/rocks the 739 is the only tire I would use.

crazytrails

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 25, 2005
I've heard good things about the kenda Millville's.. In fact i know a couple people that have them and they love them, reason being the are cheap and have proven themselves on the upper michigan rocks.. as far as the desert goes, i wouldn't think it would be too much harder that sharp jagged rocks, but who knows.. the only place for us to hit the dunes in michigan is silver lake..

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
I switched from Dunlops to Maxxis IT 2 years ago and really like them. Hold up well in the SoCal desert and are predictable. They sell for $43 at Rocky Mountain so I can replace them often. Try em.

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
I rode 3 times on the Maxxis IT and threw them in the garbage. Those tires are awful, they did not stand up to my style of riding. At least with the Dunlop 739's, I know when they are about to give up traction, which the Maxxis did not. I never knew what to expect on those things.

qtrmiler

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 26, 2000
Desert tire choice

I ride Mojave desert and friends and I have had good wear from the Bridgestone 202's and Dunlop 952's. If you're looking for absolute long tread life look at the IRC m5b very aggressive sand tire that wears like iron. Don't use if you're going to run any hardtrack surface very hard compound doesn't bike well when it's slick. I'm trying the Pirelli mt32f now but only 1-ride on it so far so good. If your going to do so cross terrain desert and mx track riding I'd suggest the Dunlop 110/90/19 D952.

Top Bottom