Any thoughs on bottoming control?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
In my latest testing i have been thinking about how is the best way to control bottoming,now we all know bottoming is a function of damping and spring rates but which balance is the best?Im thinking is we use soft springs we may have to use excessive damping to stop the clang we all dred, we can use heigher oil heights as the airsping is what takes over when deep into the travel but does this create any harshness-IMo it doesnt on most modern forks but may do on say a 43mm WP as the pressure rise will be very fast.
So in conclusion i am going down the lines of 'normal springs' lightish damping for good responces to varied terrain with higher oil heights to control bottoming-rather than use the clickers to stop bottoming i use the clciker to get the plushness i want then increase oil levels to stop the bottoming-any thoughts?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Interesting point dell but is there any disadvantage to the high rising rate?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
yes, the higher rising rate you go, the longer shock you have to have to keep the same amount of travel. You may also suffer from a hydrualic lock

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
A hydraulic lock would be an extreme case-if the rising rate was too steep i wonder if we would get a case of the shock damping increase coming in on braking bumps and such.This would probably be hard to re valve out.IMO there are so many ways to achieve good suspension i no longer believe any one unless ive tried/rode it first.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…