MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Well, I finally get to ride a bike on Sunday (thanks to High Lord Gomer), any suggestions or stuff to keep in mind for my first ride? I'll be riding a YZ250; I'm in shape about 6'1 160 with big ears :laugh:

Thanks a bunch!

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
ok, first off bike set up is most important and often overlooked. start by removing that lever over the right hand grip. it gets in the way when twisting the throttle. bring the bars back to where they are just under your chin while you are standing on the pegs, fully forward, that's a good agressive riding stance. turn all the clickers on the shock and forks untill you can drop the bike from 20 feet and have "0" compression or when you jump on the bike from about 5' up the bike bounces you back up, at least 5'. oh yeh, there's a step lever or something on the right side too, use a die grinder and cut that thing off too, it just gets in the way when you are landing your jumps. there, and remember, twist the right grip alot, it'll get you out of any problem you encounter. oh yeh too, maybe wear a helmet or at least a ball cap. now you are ready to ride.

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Put a helmet over those ears to keep them from acting like wings. Otherwise when you take a jump you may end up gliding farther than expected and over shooting the landing. J/K :laugh:

Have fun!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
And last but not least, like most newbs, while in the parking area, hold the lever on the left side with your hand, twist the grip on the right side as far as it goes, then release the lever held by the left hand (best way not to STALL the bike on your first attempt).

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
NEVER, EVER, pack double with Gomer. :eek: :scream: :laugh: :laugh:

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by gxdragon
Put a helmet over those ears to keep them from acting like wings. Otherwise when you take a jump you may end up gliding farther than expected and over shooting the landing. J/K :laugh:

True, true. :laugh:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Just watch Gomer and pay very close attention to everything he does,
and DON'T DO THAT!

:)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
and if you crash and you see Gomer coming at you with a stick, DON'T LET HIM POKE YOU!!! :scream:

B

biglou

Ditto what Senior said. Relax, have fun, ask questions and don't worry about how fast or slow you're going. Just have fun and be safe. :thumb:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Make sure you have a stick to poke Gomer with when he falls.

Have a good time.  Post a report for us to read.

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
Relax and try to have fun, reminds me of my first ride on the monster
DT100 a fewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwww years back.
Just wach a few SX or motoo starts and kind of get the feel for starting! : )

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by MARK IT
my first ride on the monster DT100 a

That is what I learned how to ride on. What a great bike. It was indestructable.

As for MadEarthWorm... well, he is going riding with Gomer so he has nothing to worry about. Gomer will make sure he is safe, will help him with anything mechanical and will go out of his way to make sure he has a good time.

Gomer is the greatest ambassador to the sport! Second place is Doug Henry and for those of you that know me for me to pick any rider over Doug Henry means that the person is very unique and Gomer is very unique (thank goodness :p ).

Ivan
PS... MadEarthWorm, when you see Lori (Mrs. Gomer) give her a hug for me and tell her it is from Ivan and the rest of the DRN gang.

MadEarthWorm

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2003
Thanks for the "tips" and advice so far, you all have no idea how excited I am! My boots came today and they fit great (I guess the final adjustments will be made on Sunday).

I'll pass you your hug on Truespode, but in the form of a handshake--a lot of women run when they see me coming anyway, LOL!

Later

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
First off, I'd suggest you get your own bike !!!! :p

try not to panic, practice only on/in the dirt, don't be scared to throw it away, (staying on when going out of control can hurt !) - do not rev and drop the clutch - ok I flipped my buddies IT175 the first time I rode it :eek:

just take it easy, if you have to push start with the clutch in, run along side and get on while its going, seriously, this is how I got over clutch control problems to start with, don't worry about it.

If you are going to ride trails, don't be scared to bundu bash - get off the trail, sometimes if you are a little out of control, it is better to just make your own trail (I do this all the time).

Just have fun ..... and bring a change of underwear :laugh:

Don't worry, be happy :thumb:

Top Bottom