Any way to stiffen up Shock compression valving easily?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
About 2 weeks ago I did an oil change on my shock to try stiffen up the compression dampening. I changed from shock oil to thicker Mobile 1 ATF. It helped a little but I'm still all the way in on my compression dampening. I bottom out the shock when I seat bounce some jumps, during large bumps in turns, and flat landings.

I'm right on the edge of needing more compression dampening, like 3-4 more clicks and I would be good. Normally I would just send in my shock to get serviced but as it stands right now, I have a good chance at placing overall in my class for season points. The turner I use is to far away to send and then receive my shock back in one week.

My question is if there is any other way I could pick up some more compression dampening?
Would a thicker shock oil help?
Is there oil thicker then Mobil 1 ATF?
Could I order some shims and add them to the stack my self or will this screw up the entire design of the shim stack that the turner made for me?

Thanks.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I would get some more of the largest diameter shims on the compression stack and just add one or two and see what happens.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Or just remove the smallest shim on the compression stack-its the clamp shim and a larger one(ie the one above it) will stiffen the entire stack by a reasonable amount.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
marcusgunby said:
Or just remove the smallest shim on the compression stack-its the clamp shim and a larger one(ie the one above it) will stiffen the entire stack by a reasonable amount.

Marcus, I'm not following you here. Are you saying to remove the last shim compleatly and just re-asemble the stack? Or am I removing the last shim and REPLACING it with the same size as the shim above it?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Haven't gotten to it yet, going to try to get to it this week. Been kinda lazy with tearing my bike down.

Top Bottom