Any words of wisdom for a Virgin Canon Rebel XT (350D) Owner?

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
I have been shopping around for a good digital camera for a few months now. I had planned on spending only about $200.00 for a point and shoot setup, but after spending many sleepless nights digging through all the info available on the web, I decided to take the plunge and buy the Canon Rebel XT. I already had a regular Rebel G and thought it was great that I could use my EF lens (28-90mm f/4-5.6 USM) on the new camera. Anyway...I found a great deal on a silver body and jumped on it. I have been snapping shots like crazy and love the camera, but haven't got a clue as to what I am doing. Im new to photography and hope that some of you pro's can point me in the right direction. Any good books you would recommend? Any websites (other than this one) that I should visit? Maybe just some words of wisdom? Anybody else using this camera? Maybe with your help someday I can take pics like "CHILI"... :laugh:

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
Thanks for the reply and great link. Squid is in a league of his own. I'll be happy if I learn enough to take the camera off the auto setting... ;)

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Ha ha, thanks guys, you are making my head swell.

I would suggest you take the time to figure out what everything does, and shoot like crazy. After time you will learn what works, and what doesn’t. Learn from your mistakes, and from you achievements and you will get better in small steps every time you pick up the camera.

When I first started out I didn't know anything about photography at all. I sat in my chair in the basement and took shots of whatever (mainly my feet because they were always the same distance away and I almost always wear the same color socks). I went through every setting my camera and looked at the photos to see what the settings did to the photo. I learned a great deal by doing this.

The other thing I can say is that you will reach a plateau with your shooting and feel that you are not getting any better and that you should just give up. I have been there a few times in the last couple of years, but you just have to keep pushing yourself to do something different. I was getting a bit bored shooting the moto thing, so I have shot a couple things like prom and dragon boat races to re-lite the fire inside me and get the motivation to get the camera out again.

So just get out there a fire off some shots. That’s the only real way to learn.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
Thanks guys. I've been taking pics of everything from sneakers to garbage cans trying to learn as much as I can. The camera is great and one of the best investments I have made. I hope to have some pics to post soon for you guys to go over. Im just looking for the right victim for my shot.

Top Bottom