HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Watching the Tostitos Bowl and saw an ad for the new GTO. Not sure what to think of it yet. 350 hp, 365 ft lbs rear wheel drive. Should be fun to drive. Claim 0-60 in 5.3 (not bad, but shy of legend status). Maybe the numbers are sandbagged a little? Hopefully. The 6-speed would be a definate.

I think it shares a little resemblance with the late model Mustangs, unfortunately.
I think I'd still rather have a '65 Goat, 389 with Tri-power and a 4 speed, but that's just me.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
That's no Pontiac - it's an Australian car called the Holden Monaro. <Insert Holden McGroin joke here>

I hope GM keeps them around for a while. They look pretty sweet.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
The body style and appearance is Holden all the way, and way too conservative for me. But according to Car and Driver, that's about all there is that's wrong with it. They said it drove like a BMW (and they were being very serious about that), had no roll, chassis chattering, drove very tight, and had a tight, tight 'euro-like' interior. Of course, the power was great, as it's an LS1 motor.

I don't read Car & Driver, but picked it up after seeing the GTO on the cover.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Whoops, maybe it was Motor Trend? Either way, I don't care much for new cars.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
A V-8 REAR DRIVE 350 bhp TWO DOOR COUPE?????
From PONTIAC????
God bless America!!!!! :thumb: :yeehaw: :worship:
Even if it IS Austrailian..... :cool:

Might not be a 389 tripower, but hey, in this day and age!?
Way ta go Pontiac!! :)

(and it's not even ugly. aka: Aztec / Avalanche / Vibe.)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
And be glad!!

All that HP (measured at the crank) in a tank that can't turn or stop, bias ply tires, crap suspension and a nice metal dash to eat. Crumple zones? Bah!

That being said, my ol' black '70 Grand Prix model J was a great car :thumb: The bat mobile baby! Even had the add-on , stuck on the console 8 track player.

Let's see... 350 HP, 6 speed, RWD, small package... :aj:
Wonder what it weighs?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by OnAnySunday
A V-8 REAR DRIVE 350 bhp TWO DOOR COUPE?????
From PONTIAC????
God bless America!!!!! :thumb: :yeehaw: :worship:
Even if it IS Austrailian..... :cool:

Way ta go Pontiac!! :)

(and it's not even ugly. aka: Aztec / Avalanche / Vibe.)

Yeah, it is nice to see a new rear wheel drive performance car. It's also good to see Pontiac stop hanging vinyl siding all over the sides of their cars.

However, I am not a GM fan. Spent too many years in and around the auto industry.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Did you see the NBC national news the other day? They had the GTO featured doing big smoky burnouts. Its great to see the return of the V8

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Originally posted by BadgerMan
If I did not have to haul bikes and pull a trailer, here is what I would drive:

http://www.subaru.com/servlet/resea...=WRX_STI_SEDAN&model=IMPREZA&command=overview

My wife has an Outback and that thing is incredible in the winter time. I can only imagine what 300hp and AWD would be like.......especially this time-o-year in Michigan! That WRX looks like the most fun you could have on four wheels!

Read a test of that car in Hot Rod the other day. Went up against an SVT Cobra and put about a tenth of second on it in the quarter. 13.1 I believe?

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Speaking of the box-look, there was a website about the ugliest cars I saw a while back (might of been posted on DRN). The funniest part of the rant was about how kind it was that Honda used blind engineers to design the Element. I almost cried laughing when I read that.

Okie...back in the day, the Goat was it. The thing I liked the most was the renegade spirit of Pontiac to create the Goat in the 1st place, against the will of GM and its flagship Chevy brand. Besides, it getting close to where re-badging could apply to all brands (affix Ford, GM, DC label on the front....)

Not to switch topics, but have the motorcycle Gods ever create something unique, say something comparable to the GMC Cyclone (0-60 in 4.6)? I guess the CR500AF would be it, but anything else????

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The Yamaha VMAX was quite the hot rod :)

I remember "back in the day" a little too well thanks. I guess I started liking cars around 6 years old... that would be 1966 :scream: . Have had a couple of the short trunk/long hood cars, a 70 Challenger RT/SE was probably the most "rare" and uncontrollably fast when running right. My favorite GTO was the large body version, 64-65? Beautiful car.

What I was kinda gettingat is "They sure don't make 'em like they used to"... damn good thing too. We actually survive accidents these days.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Okiewan
a 70 Challenger RT/SE was probably the most "rare" and uncontrollably fast when running right.

That thing gotta hemi? :thumb:

Very cool cars. Too bad they weren't built a little better. Very few seem to have survived to this day. If they were like my '72 dart, the torsion bars liked to twist loose from the frame after a few salty winters.

Amen on the "They sure don't make 'em like they used to"...

You don't hear of too many guys making a living regrinding cranks and doing valve jobs anymore. Or repairing torsion bar suspensions for that matter.....

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Amen on the "They sure don't make 'em like they used to"...
You don't hear of too many guys making a living regrinding cranks and doing valve jobs anymore. Or repairing torsion bar suspensions for that matter.....

Yea, really. Now theyre like "Bic" pens. Fix em? Hell no it costs as much as what the cars worth in many instances.
I had an old tbird a whilst back. When its smog egipped engine bit the dust, i didnt lose any sleep replacing it -w- a (ahem) slightly boosted 302 h.o. V8.
Smog equppment? nah.
Just a nice lil 715cfm cath bowl holley, true duals and a marine grind cam.
Just like the old days! :)
And oh my gosh! No airbags! Boy my feet were sweatin everytime i got in it..........NOT.
My current ride doesnt got em either, oh well. :confused:
That beast had 175,000 miles on her when i sold it and it was still running like a champ.
I got nothin against airbags i guess (other than this fear of em blowin up in my face at a stoplight or somthin.) but im not gonna praise the safety gods over em either.
Thing is that cars are going where bikes are gonna go. Safety mad.
Heck since people cant drive or be trusted to try to drive safely and defensivelly, then i guess we just better make ALL cars crash-proof so the public wont hurt themselves!
Whats next?
You know whats next cuz we are all experiencing it.
Better get rid of those other dangerous vehicles!
Trikes (already gone) q u a d s , snowmobiles, jet-ski's, and MOTORCYCLES.
Oh for heavens sake yes! Those darn motorcycles!
(cant put airbags or doorbeams on those babys, so out they go! :| )
Will we be saying "sure glad they dont make them (at all) like they used to"??
Sorry kids, im just a car guy and a muscle car buff defending his hobby.
Sorta like the dirtbikers try to defend theirs, eh? :think:

Oh and PS:
Mebbe those old beasts didnt handle too well.
Just ad a little modern tech. A good set of 15 / 17 inch performance tires, and some upgraded suspention components, and whalla!
Might not outgun these new cars on an autocross course, but theyll have fits trying ta shake em off! :p

Last edited:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Nothing against old cars. I love 'em the same as old dirt bikes.

However, you can make the same comparison between a '65 GTO and its new descendant as you can between a '74 CR250 and an '04 CR250. Both are tons of fun, but don't expect the '74 CR to hang with the new one on the track OR be anywhere near as reliable.

Remember when tires were good for 10,000 miles….brakes too. How about a tune up once a year? Valves and seats reground at 50K……….yada, yada, yada.

Compare your present salary, the cost of living, and the average cost of car ownership to what those items were in 1975 and I'll bet you will be surprised.

As for safety, I'll take my '02 F150 over a '72 F150 any day of the week! A lap belt and full metal dash vs. a shoulder belt and airbag? No comparison IMHO.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
However, you can make the same comparison between a '65 GTO and its new descendant as you can between a '74 CR250 and an '04 CR250. Both are tons of fun, but don't expect the '74 CR to hang with the new one on the track OR be anywhere near as reliable.

must...........resist......temptation.......to...start with......old...geezer.....ranting and....raving....... :confused:
Oh hell (wind going out of sails) yea i guess i know what you mean.....now.
I just think that the government should put as much effort into driver education and law enforcement as they do forcing the car companies to make nice safe padded little boxes for us to drive around.
There are just so many people out there who , honest to god, really should NOT be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
Train em, educate em, test em, and if they cant make the grade....FAIL em!
But dont ruin things for auto enthusiests by castrating their cars.
All said though it is nice to see beasts like the new GTO, WRX, Lancer EVO, Mustang Cobras, coming back with a performance vengence.
(air bags or no.) :think:
And a moment of silence for those that have fallen.
(Camaro / Firebird)

Oh and yea i do (grumble...grumble) admit that that '04 would toast the '74 on a track , but ya gotta admit that '74 is still a good timin' blast from the past to go cruisin with! :thumb: :cool:

shueman

Jan 4, 2004
I like the new GTO's performance. The styling has a ways to go. It's to bland. It doesn't even have hood scoops. Evry GTO produced had some form of scoops on the hood. I know 64 only had non-functional vents.

Top Bottom