Anybody have a Pic of Healthy looking Intake port?

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Does anybody have a picture of what a CLEAN/NORMAL looking intake port on a KDX200 E-series ('89-'94) should look like?

I need this for comparison to mine. I'm trying to figure out how carbon'd up this one is compared to other bikes out there.

I'm trying to determine if I absolutely positively HAVE to bother with removing the cylinder and cleaning my intake port... or whether it's safe enough to just let it be.

I'm asking because more-and-more little things are popping-up that require attention... and the bike only cost me $675 to begin with... but several other things since then (including paying expired registration penalties of previous owner, GRRR!) have pushed it's beginning cost up significantly so I'm trying to save cost and effort as much as I can.

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

Last edited:

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Please?.... anyone?.. I just need to have an idea of what a clean... or normal amount of dirty one kinda looks like.

BLACKeR

Oct 30, 2007
are you sure that isnt paint? the only thing coming through the intake is clean unburnt fuel and air. it wouldnt have a carbon build up.

RocketRaccoon

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 7, 2006
sell the bike and use the money to get your freaky big toe fixed...just kidding :laugh: Good luck with the KX500 and have a happy holiday.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
ridejunky said:
It shouldn't be carboned up like that. Pull your head and make sure the arrow on the top of your piston is facing the front.

Please explain to us how putting the piston in backwards would cause a carbon build up on the intake side of the motor?

I'd guess also that it's some sort of paint coating.

All of the 2 strokes I have worked on, not very many, have had the openings in the rings toward the intake.

And from what I understand, if you have the piston in backwards, you'll more likely see a seizure as the result. Someone posted pics on here somewhere of a piston that had been put in backward, the rings were pulled out of the groove and the cylinder was trashed pretty bad.

It looks like there is some bubbling in that black coating, I'd hit it with a wire brush and see what the hell it is.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Looks like it was rebuild and someone painted the whole jug. It looks like bubbled paint.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
ebeck said:
Looks like it was rebuild and someone painted the whole jug. It looks like bubbled paint.

Huh?.... Why the heck would someone paint in there?

Hmmm.... could be paint possibly... if you look at those photos... there is a place that it looks "chipped" if you will. It's because of that one "chipped" looking place that I'm even bothering to ask questions about this. I'm afraid of this paint/carbon-build-up or whatever the heck it is chipping-off and sucking into the cylinder Or low end and having an expensive little party in there. :think:

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
RocketRaccoon said:
sell the bike and use the money to get your freaky big toe fixed...just kidding :laugh: Good luck with the KX500 and have a happy holiday.

In order to sell the bike I'd still have to proceed with some more costs I'd incur. but I think I'll have to grin and bare it because I don't think I'd be able to get hardly any of my initial cash back unless I do the fixes.

Just got the pink slip for it... went to DMV and picked up it's Cali plicense plate. I dunno... maybe I'll continue on the path to Restoration just so I can ride around Cali on a 2-Stroke and stick my nose up at all the enviro-nazi's. :p

Top Bottom