anybody have any boot break in tricks

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Walk around in them for a few hours. What boots did you get? Some boots have a long break-in period (MSR's come to mind) and others have almost no break-in.

Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
Well, we always soaked 'em in water and walked 'em dry.

But I admit I'm a hick. Could also use mink oil or my favorite, coon fat.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Assuming they are made of leather--do what Gunther said, soak in warm water and wear until dry--hopefully you get this done in a day, because the fairer sex does not like boots in bed but do not take off until dry. When dry, work in paste mink oil with fingers (good for your skin) and then melt the mink oil into the leather (especially the welt area) with your hair dryer!! Boots should stay pliable and relatively water resistant for a good while.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
1.) Put new boots on.
2.) Go riding.
3.) Don't forget other gear, especially underware.
4.) Repeat, as many times as necessary.
5.) Not the underware part though.

;)

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
thanks for the info. those sidi's look nice i may end up with those. i just got a pair of oneal elements cause i needed some boots fast. are thor t20's any good i can get some of those cheap.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Thor T-20's? You should be able to get those cheep because they were discontinued years ago. The T-30's are much better boots (a real great value) and sell for about $130.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
If you've ever gone through the pain, recovery, and loss of work due to a dirt bike related injury, I doubt you'll ever shop for protective gear on price alone.

It is an investment not unlike medical insurance (and yet some ride without that! :| ).

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I agree that helmets & boots are not something to be thrifty on. As far as break in wear them around the house especially with shorts, very stylish!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Soak them real good with WD-40. It seems to soften them up and helps with the waterproofing.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by Flying Scot
Fill 'em with water. Wear them, top up the water, walk in 'em. Top up the water, walk in 'em. Over and over. Works great.

You guys are mean :|

Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
DO NOT USE WD-40 ON LEATHER!

Ruination will lie ahead.

Yep, runnin' down them there coons will for surely and for true break in any boot.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
i thought the wd40 was pretty stupid. i quit listening after the sidi boot reply im getting those. i just keep checkin the thread to see what clowns have joined the circus.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by Gunther
DO NOT USE WD-40 ON LEATHER!

Ruination will lie ahead.

Would you care to substantiate your claim or is that just your opinion? I have done it for years with no ill effects. It was suggested, years ago, in a dirtbike mag by some racer who was asked the same question.

Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
Pertoleum based oils break down leather fibers and the stitching that holds the leather together.

If you wanna do it fine but just because somebody says it in a magazine don't make it a good idea.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I still have the pair of Full Bore boots that I purchased in 1976. They have been sprayed with WD-40 countless times, as well as every pair of boots that I have owned since then. I could ride with those Full Bore boots still today if I wanted to deal with the dozen crappy buckles on each boot. Other than the many battle scars, their leather and stitching is just as sound as the Hi-points I bought two years ago.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I fill them with a 50/50 mix of gatoraid and water. Helps with the drop in electolytes after 2-3 hours of hard riding.

Top Bottom