Anybody have/ride street bikes?

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
I just got my motorcycle license and I am about to buy a old xj700 (yamaha). Does anybody else ride streetbikes on a daily basis? What kind do you guys have or prefer, cruiser, sportbike, dualsport, or just standard? I posted this because I was just wondering. :)

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I used to ride a 1983 Honda Nighthawk almost daily. I miss it now, especially with gas prices. I ride my KDX quite a bit, I did the whole dual sport thing with it. Fun for short trips, that's about it.

I like adventure bikes. I'd really like to get a V-strom for those long commute days.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I used to ride streetbikes but got sick of dodging death everytime I got on one to ride. I've owned an EX500, CBR F3, an old ZX-9, SV650 the naked one, and a Hayabusa. Hands down my favorite bike was the SV650. Oh yeah my buddy had a sportster that he used to let me ride, that bike vibrated to beat all hell.

I'll to my CR250R and dodge tree's rather than trucks anyday.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
I ride a Suzuki SV1000 almost every day while my dirtbike sits in the corner collecting dust.
The SV is cool for sporty riding, but I think I'm going to get ride of it for a BMW R1200GS.

Nice FZ1 Gomer. Those are cool. I probably should've bought one instead of the SV1K.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I ride a Suzuki Marauder 800 whenever I can. I prefer the comfort of the cruiser, but few of them actually handle, and most are way too heavy. The Marauder is a good compromise.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I've got a VFR750 right now, and have had a ZX11D, a GSXR750, and a V65 Sabre before it. Alas, it is parked, along with the rest of my bikes, until my femur heals and my doctor OK's riding again.

I used to commute on the VFR all the time, rain or shine. Givi bags and an Aerostich are all you need. ;)

Cars suck. Trucks are cool because they can haul bikes and tow trailers full of bikes. :cool:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
tyesai said:
I used to ride streetbikes but got sick of dodging death everytime I got on one to ride.

Amen to that!

I have been riding for over thirty five years and have never owned a street bike. I would be scared to death riding around moving cars. Actually, I am scared riding anything smaller than my 1/2 ton truck on the roads in Michigan!

Cars, idoits, cell phones, and motorcycles do not mix well together IMO.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I have a couple of Sportsters. One is sort of mild, one is pretty wild. Can't really ride to work, but I sure wish I could. The mild one is about 80-85 HP. The wild one is a cafe mutant that makes 107 HP and 100 lbs of torque all below 6000 RPMs. :laugh:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
You should buy one instead of the BMW! :laugh:

I had a R1150R before the FZ1 and hated to even get on it after getting the FZ1. The BMW motor was weak and vibrated.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004

Trust me, Michigan is nothing! I lived in or spent a considerable amount of time in Grand Rapids, Bay City, Saginaw, Midland, Cass City, Oscoda, Gaylord, Houghton, and probably more that I am forgetting. Riding / driving in all those places is nothing compared to Atlanta Georgia, Phoeniz/Tempe Arizona. Even Tucson can get pretty bad at times. The absolute worst? Drive anywhere in Mexico.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002

Ditto, these Hollanders can not drive at all. I have lived many other places besides here, but it's these stupid U-turns we have :bang:
I had a Suzuki Bandit 600 and was sideswiped while sitting in a left hand turn lane. Messed up my knee and scratched my bike. The guy that hit me took off and we never found out who it was. Shortly after that Phil and I both sold our street bikes. We stick to dirt now..once we move out of town we'll get them again, but not until then.

Aug 31, 2006
i used to have one .. not long ago ... bought a brand new 04 GSXR 600 .... used it to race this year in edmonton alberta .... but i am gonnabe buying a house andi couldnt afford to race with this huge purchase ... soo i sold it ... i really miss it ...

now i ride a rmz 250 ... 2006

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
High Lord Gomer said:
I ride this every day that the forecast is 30% or less chance of rain:

It's really crazy just how great of a bike these FZ1s are. A great all around bike, although I wouldn't recommend for a beginner.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I have an SV650S that I really like. At 70 rear wheel horsepower, it has just the right amount of power for me. I've done a lot of work to the suspension, for very little money (springs, valves, rear shock from a GSXR1000 for $35 and some othetr goodies). The engine is mostly stock with the exception of freeing up the air intake and removing some electronic nannys.

All in all, it's a very nice bike. Oh, it gets 60 MPG too.

06yz

May 2, 2006
I have had a few close calls w/ those idiots on their cell phones :bang:
My street bike is a Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide. It has a 95" big bore kit, portted and polished heades, 48mm carb bored to 51mm. It has not been dyno'd but the guy that did all the work has the same setup on his bike and he dyno'd at 110hp/tq at the rear wheel. I'm sure my bike is close to this.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
have you broken anything yet? My friend has one quite similar sounding to yours (although maybe a bit more radical), he broke the cases 2 or three times, pulled the cylinder studs right out of the cases once. Has aftermarket cases now. Stock starter didn't last five minutes with the new motor.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
2 Vstar 11's. I ride as much as possible, can't commute due to the nature of my business. Now that the weather is moderating, the YZ will get more fuel run thru the carb.

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
I ride this every day that the forecast is 30% or less chance of rain:

I hope you ride with more than just a t-shirt and helmet on. One of my friends was in a bike accident where a car hit him, they were only going like 20mph but my friends whole arm and his upper back looked like it had a big 2nd or 3rd degree burn. Wear a jacket. :cool:

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
wow, a lot of you guys have an sv650 or sv1000, that's cool they're great bikes even my dad had a sv1000, but he sold that to get a gsxr1300 (hayabusa) but then he sold the hayabusa to buy a boat.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
mg89 said:
wow, a lot of you guys have an sv650 or sv1000, that's cool they're great bikes even my dad had a sv1000, but he sold that to get a gsxr1300 (hayabusa) but then he sold the hayabusa to buy a boat.

Probably the worst thing I did was trade in my SV650 for a Busa. Don't get me wrong, it is a great/fun bike and it has a definite "cool factor" about it. It was great fun at the drag strip but the drag strip is about an hour and half away from me. That is really to far to drive alot and get a good time out of it.

The naked SV650 was a dream to ride. That bike, with the big handlebars and truely usable torque just begs to be abused in the turns. You stuff it in one time really hard and then go back to the same turn and shove it in harder.

The Busa on the other hand was like trying to turn a train. Yep it is fast, sick sick sick fast and fun but I never got left behind when I was on the SV650 either. You can only go so fast on the street.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
How's this?
2004 Harley Fatboy
Only thing I have been able to ride lately!

Attachments

• web.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i have an '82 honda ft500 ascot that i ride nearly everyday. it's a nice, light, easy to handle, fun bike. i also have a '73 yamaha at-3 125 enduro. i use it mostly for a pitbike but it is tagged and i occasionally ride it on the street. both will run forever on a tank of gas. i have about $800 in each of them but i sure wouldn't take that for them.

i nearly bought a new fz-6 a couple years ago but i backed out. i'm too cheap.

oh yeah, i'm the guy that wears shorts, tee shirt, and full-faced helmet.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…