Anybody tried a bigger carb on 99 YZ125?

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
I have a 97 yz125 w/ a stock 36mm carb. Just 2 nights ago we put a 38mm carb on the bike, once we got the jetting correct the bike ripped! There was a big noticable difference in power! We didnt lose any bottom, yet we gained bottom and top. From my point of view there was no power loss just a big gain. I personally love it! Thats just my take on the bigger carbs. Good luck and let us know what your results are!

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
YZDezertGuy what carb did you use? and about how much did it cost and where did you get it? Thanks for the replies

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
CR-MAN... I didnt have to change the airboots at all. Everything matched up perfectly. It was a Mikuni Carb. I actually recieved the carb. when i bought the bike, im not sure where they got it. Im sure if you checked around at your local shops they can get them in or contact Mikuni personally.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Joe - Call AJ Wagoneer at Service Honda. He can fix you up with a sweet deal on a TMX 38 if you want to experiment with the bigger carb.

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
Eric, Rich, maybe you guys can help me on a question i have hear. Just got the new Dirt Rider and was wondering about the 02 yz125 carb. 38mm bored to a 40mm on the intake side? Whats the advantage of this? Is there an advantage to that? Im sure there must be. Also, can a stock carb from a 01 yz125 be brought in and bored to a 40mm on the intake side if the differences cause a dramatic change? Thanks guys!

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
Hey Eric, I got the 38 tmx today from AJ. my question would be the difference in carbs as my bike comes stock with a TMX-x and the carb I bought is a 2001 cr250 carb a TMX they have a different slide shape the TMX-x being half moon shape and it's a little shorter do I have to compensate for this or should I be good to go with the 2001 YZ125 jetting as the base line?
By the way Eric that swain tech coated piston is the bomb!!!! I can't believe how well my pistons holding up!
Thanks, Joe

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
hey guys i run a kiehen 38 pwm (same as a 98 yz 250 carb) on my 00yz 144
it bolts up perfect even uses the stock cable . the performance is the best
yet, more bottom mid and top . I had the stock 36 tmxs bored to 37 but
didn't find it tobe that much better up top . the pwm woke it up everywhere
and it is a breeze to jet .:) :)

Top Bottom