anyone buy generic bearings (timken)

mbaird

May 25, 2006
has anyone cross referenced the factory bearings with
timken part #'s ? I doubt that honda has custom made
bearings.
I'm refering specifically to 03 cr250 suspensin, wheel
and steering bearings.
I've done this for other applications and saved alot .

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
I personally recomend pivot works bearings their prices are really cheap, I haven't heard of timken though just my 2 cents

mbaird

May 25, 2006
timken is an original equipment mftr. Companies like Honda,
suzuki,GM , Ford etc... generally don't have bearings made to spec, they buy an existing bearing that will work for their
component.

If you can find the OEM part # they will cost as little as
a 1/4 of what the parts dept will charge. I did this on an
ATK 406 I used to own.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
my bad, I should have used the term OEM , not generic.
but you got my point.

Would you agree that timken probably has the same bearings available at a fraction of the cost?

I guess I'll have to tear my bike down and take the bearings into the local wholesaler to cross reference them.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Just curious how much money do you think you might save, and how much extra hours of your time will it take compared to ordering online tonight?

BTW, hve you checked Service Honda's prices on bearings? They are likely much cheaper than your local dealer's list prices.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
I posted this thread hoping that someone had already done the leg work. If that was the case I would have spent minimal time and saved somewhere around 75.00. ( I am doing the wheels, linkage,shock and steering head) . I know that doesn't sound like much, but these are items that you may replace several times over the years and it is a nice resource to have. Not to mention that I have 3 kids with bikes and they all require periodical maintanance ( ala,my
14 yr old girls cr80 that siezed this weekend ) as well as riding gear etc...

BTW, I just hung up from my local shop after ordering all the parts. I will cross reference the #'s at the local bearing outlet and post the results.

It would be great if others could do the same for other makes and models.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Cross referencing american bearings in the past meant different companies because of specialty type bearings. Good luck,and even if you got them for dealer net,I doubt the dealer can come close to something with 200% mark up! The timken should be way better and way cheaper!

mbaird

May 25, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Cross referencing american bearings in the past meant different companies because of specialty type bearings. Good luck,and even if you got them for dealer net,I doubt the dealer can come close to something with 200% mark up! The timken should be way better and way cheaper!

Huh!!! I can't follow you.
Are the "american bearings" the ones in the bike now or the
replacements?

Is the "dealer" my local honda shop or the bearing wholesaler?

Who are you refering to when you state "200% markeup"?

Who is Timken cheaper than?

And if Timken is far less expensive than the dealer or aftermarket companies, that would be my goal !
Or are you saying that Timken is the supplier for honda?

oilguy

Nov 15, 2004
we replaced the suspension needle bearings in a couple kx mini's with new ones from our local bearing supplier. be sure to bring the old bearings with you when you go get new ones. they were way-way-way less $ than dealer or pivot works and equal or better quality.

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Gidday people,

I replaced every bearing on my 05 Sherco through SKF (another massive bearing company) and after taking in a few Honda bearings - well, bearings in a honda packet at least, SKF had, or could get just about any bearing made.

FYI I also bought bearing seals from them too.

Bearings were between $3 and $10 each and seals were a couple of bucks each.

Also bought seals and bearings for a Husky too.....

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I too have gotten bearings at the local bearing supplier. i now have a bearing cross list for all the bearings for most all the bikes I have rebuilt. i will caution you on bearings that are internal motor bearings. You sometimes can buy a much cheaper crank bearing. If the counter guy does not know specifically what you need it for he'll sell you the bearing that is not rated for the RPM you need. i've found C3 bearings much cheaper than most dealers prices but they are not as good quality as the C4's that you want for the crank. They cross over with the same part number but are not rated for the types of rpm's the motor spins at. Might not make much difference if your not racing but on our bikes we race we definetley noticed the C3's wore out in only a few months instead of the stockers that lasted a whole season. false economy buying the cheap ones there because you have to split the case sooner.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
I just put timken wheel bearings in on my rm250 and have not had a problem. I have about 5 hrs on them and all is well. first time I used them but they were less expensive and seem to be holding up just well. oh yea no problems w/ installation either.

Top Bottom