Anyone care to help a newbie out?

JoelS

Aug 4, 2003
Hey everyone! I'm new to dirtrider and somewhat new to riding. I used to have a '96 Yamaha TR 180 that needed much work so I got rid of it before I killed myself riding it. I came into some cash recently and picked up a 2003 XR250. I had hoped that buying a new bike would give me at least some time to ride without worrying about it running right. Off the bat, I'm having trouble with plugs fouling. A new plug will give me a great start and a good ride, but the next time I go to fire it up I find the plug fouled. I've been reading about having the bike jetted right, but have no clue what that means. At this point, I don't feel real comfortable tearing into the carburetor especially on a new bike. I'd rather not run the risk of messing something up. Anything I can do to alleviate this problem? I appreciate any help with this.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Joel: Something here is wrong as this is not a bike that fouls plugs, especially one this new. Are you sure you have the choke OFF when riding? Does it smoke when you're riding (it shouldn't)? Is this bike stock or has it been modified in some way (pipe, carb, engine work?).

JoelS

Aug 4, 2003
Mark, it's completely stock, choke is off when running and no smoke. My first start was extremely hard, but it eventually cranked. I thought it might be typical of a new bike that hadn't been broken in. I pulled the plug and found it fouled. Not terribly, but the electrodes were black and even the first thread was. I replaced it with a new plug, rode some (maybe five minutes) and then dumped it. It wouldn't restart after several cranks. I pulled the plug and sure enough, fouled again. I'm stumped. When it runs, it runs great.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I would take that bike back to the dealer. XR Hondas are very reliable and don't normally have the problem you are describing.

To me it sounds like the carb has a problem. Maybe the float is set wrong. Have the dealer check it.

B

biglou

You're not twisting the throttle when starting, are you? Even a little bit? If so, make a habit of putting your hand on the front brake master cylinder when starting to prevent any accidental twisting of the throttle. This would be especially critical when the engine is hot. If you're sure you aren't twisting the grip, then it may be a float level or jetting issue. You'll get it sorted, it will just take a little time. Trust me, it will be worth it! Good luck.

B

biglou

Trout-That is opening the slide all the way, leaning the mixture out tremendously (hot-start button simulation). The one thing I don't know about here is if the xr100 or 250 have accelerator pumps, which squirt raw fuel down the intake when twisted. Something you definitely don't want happening when the engine is hot, like right after a fall.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by BigLou
The one thing I don't know about here is if the xr100 or 250 have accelerator pumps,

Lou.

The xr's don't have accelerator pumps.

Joel.

Like others have said, the XR should not foul plugs. If it is new, I would have the Dealer check it out. If not, check your air box. Make sure the air filter is clean and the air ways are clear. A friend of mine had a similar problem with his XR. He found a family of mice had moved in to his air box.

Of course here in Kalifornia you can't just dump them out. He had to call the Mouse Inviromental Protection Agency to get the paperwork. Naturally, PITA had to be notified and the San Francisco chapter of 'You Can't Do That in Kalifornia' sent some rep's down to make sure they weren't some special species of meeses. :confused: I think Disneyland even had to be contacted. ;)

Well, with all the paper to fill out and the fees and permits, he found it was cheaper to just buy a new bike. :eek:

Anyway, you might want to check your air box. :thumb:

Ol'89r

hlinar

Oct 21, 2002
read your manual regarding starting . XR's are notoriously cold natured and flood when dumped. Clean out drill: pull decomp lever, hold kill switch, wide open throttle. kick 10 times. find tdc, NO throttle , hold the master cylinder like Lou said, and kick it.

It took me about 6 mos to learn how to start mine.'Course I 'm Polish too.

Top Bottom