DFerr

Mar 1, 2000
I just had my suspension done by Pro Action. Everything seems fine, except as I ride the bike and things heat up, my free sage seems to get tight. At least that's where I notice it. It's almost like my dampening heavily increases in both directions. I lift the seat it just stays there. If I push down about an inch, it stays there. As things cool down it goes away. I just cleaned and greased the rear suspension, everything moves free, no binding. Could the problem be in the shock? Pro Action doesn't think so.

[This message has been edited by DFerr (edited 03-27-2001).]

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sounds like the piston band is too large so when the alloy piston heat up the band is becoming tight in the bore of the shock body. A guy in the UK had his done at PA and his had some stiction problems as well.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sorry not seen him for a while but if PA are a good company they should provide you with aftersales problem solving-speak to them and post your impressions of them good/bad.Im not trying to start a flame just interested on how they stack up.

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Dfer
I agree with Marcus, I would have PA do a teardown inspection of the shock. Any suspension company worth thier salt should atleast perform that for a customer.
I wouldn't ride on until you have PA or another suspension company look at it, when things come unglued in a shock the damage (spelled $$$$) adds up fast.
Good Luck, John

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Defenitely have the shock looked at. If you have gone through the other obvious possibilities (linkage, etc.) then there has to be a problem in the shock itself and they should fix it. The only thing I can say is stand your ground on the matter as I know of people that had problems getting PA to stand behind their work.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
is your rebound adjuster bottomed or near bottom? I have seen this problem on a 99kx250 shock, the rebound needle would expand with heat and cause serious chassis problems, the bike would'nt turn when hot is what my customer told me, I know you said both ways but the rebound will have a slight effect on the compression circuit. the piston band was a good one also.

------------------
Sage Wilkinson, KDX Link 1

DFerr

Mar 1, 2000
I think I'm running the rebound setting at 7 clicks out. I'm not supper fast so I like a little more rebound damping. But I wouldn't think that's to much. I drop the shock off at PA this morning. Will see what they have to say.

DFerr

Mar 1, 2000
I spoke with PA this morining. He said he's never heard of this happening be for, but anything's possible. He said, he didn't change the piston and band and that they use a different oil. It's posible there was a contamination problem between the different oils on the piston band. He said he's going to change the piston and band, but this is going to cost me $35.00 For what I paid to have my suspension done, I would think the piston and band would of been part of it. live and learn!

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Dfer
Sounds like you got the pointy end of the stick.....

"contamination between the two different types of oil"?? Sounds like he admitted to doing a lousy job of cleaning the components prior to re-assembly.

I am supprised to hear he didnt change the piston band and oring during a revalve job, even with a stock piston....

I dont want to turn this into a PA flame post, but I seriously believe this forum is good for the customers. It gives everybody a heads up on what is good and not so good in the suspension industry.

I know if that if a customer had an issue on a shock that I worked on, I would want it back at my shop ASAP to make it right. And also incure all costs, including shipping. I guess everybody has different ways of doing business......

Good Luck, John

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
I think if you posted this on the flame board you would get a bigger response than expected, your not the first to get the "sharp end" as stated above. sounds like they found something that was a F.U. on their part?

------------------
Sage Wilkinson, KDX Link 1

Top Bottom