Anyone ever take a 4 stroke swimming?

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
This past weekend a friend of mine (names withheld to protect the allready embarrased) dumped his BRAND NEW WR450 in a creek. First day after break in and he decided to ride across this little creek instead of taking the old falling down bridge and about 3 feet into the crossing he encountered a huge hole and the back end went down to the fender and the engine died. We got the bike to dry ground and pulled the airbox lid and at least a cup of water poured out. NOT GOOD. We held the bike upright on the rear wheel and let the exhaust drain then rolled it backwards while in gear to see if any water would "backflush" thru the carb and some water did come out this way. Pulled the plug and kicked it thru a few times and nothing but fuel vapor out of plug holes. That was a small relief. Luckily we werent too far from the truck and he had a new quart of Yamalube so we drained some fairly milky oil out and put the new oil in and she started right up and wouldnt idle until the water cleared the carb. Back to the truck we went (approx 2 miles).

My question is what dou you guys recommend for the next step? So far he drained the oil and completely filled the crankcase and let it sit overnight. Should he flush the engine with something or just do several oil changes and see how it runs? I am sure someone out there has done this before. 

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I had a friend do something similar. He did a few back to back oil changes with a cheaper oil.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Mikeb
[B I am sure someone out there has done this before.  [/B]

:eek: :scream: Been there, done that!

A few years ago, I dropped my XR350 in a place called Deep Creek. (They call it that for good reason.) Got up on a couple of those slippery rocks and lost it. The only thing sticking out of the water was the left handle grip.

We pulled it out of the water, pulled the spark plug out and stood it up against a tree. Let it drain and kicked it through about a kijillian times. Put the plug back in, started it up and rode it out. (About 35 miles).

When I got home I drained all of the fluids and refilled them. That was several years ago and the bike is still running strong. Did'nt seem to hurt it a bit. Now, as to my pride, that's a whole other story. :) :laugh:

Ol'89r

JBTX

Jun 25, 2002
The only bad thing you could do is to not run it. Change the oil, run it, change the oil, run it... repeat until there is no more milkiness to the oil.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I really appreciate all the feedback. Sofar he has done just what you guys have suggested. Run until warm then drain oil and repeat. I think he is up to 4th oil change and it is no longer milky and runs fine so I guess time will tell now.

Thanks again for all the input.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
KXRider... I don't know if it's the right responce...

I'd drain the float bowl, and kick the crap out of it. Also, blow out the plug wire. Then once I got home change the gear box oil once, and imediatly after the next ride while warm.

Actually, first thing I'd do is post on DRN. :)

mhardee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 17, 2002
I think he is up to 4th oil change and it is no longer milky and runs fine so I guess time will tell now.

Thanks again for all the input.

Mike:

FWIW - the "good old boy" came through on my truck! I picked up $1750.00 cash from him yesterday to get it fixed! It wasn't SUCH a bad day after all!

Mark

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Mark, That is good news for sure. I really appreciate your help in reviving the WR.  We owe you one. 

mhardee

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 17, 2002
Mark, That is good news for sure. I really appreciate your help in reviving the WR.  We owe you one. 

The "Abyss" took another one this weekend. John Branson killed his KTM in the swamp...

Also, some banjo-players took a chainsaw to the bridge....

We rode a bunch there yesterday taking GPS breadcrumbs for the map plotting.. HUGE snowflakes clogging your goggles for a while...

See 'ya Tuesday...

Top Bottom